Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Broken Sage rod.

From Dauphin PA
OK, I hate being wrong so I've called Sage. $50 repair and over $150 repair statements are both correct. If you have a modern model like a z-axis, FLI, SP and others.... $50. If you have an older model GFL, MA, DS or RP..... you are looking at a $175 (or so) for repairs which end up being a total rod replace to a newer model.

Posted on: 2013/11/14 17:10

From florida
Often on older rods you get a "credit" toward a new rod. I know Orvis does that.
GG

Posted on: 2013/11/17 12:42

From PA and NH
I see the break is right above the hook keeper, maybe you've been nicking that spot to the point of weakening it. Probably the strongest visible spot on the rod.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 7:56

From Lancaster Co.
Quote:

McSneek wrote:
I took my broken Sage Z-Axis back to the fly shop where it was purchased. They filled out a warranty form and sent the rod to Sage for repair/replacement. There was never any mention of a $50.00 fee or any S&H charges. I was told it may take 6 - 8 weeks for replacement/repair. I have back ups and at this time of year it's no big deal.

I guess as long as Sage offers the warranty I would keep sending the rod back to them for repair.

UPDATE - Picked my repaired rod up at the shop yesterday. Took close to two months for the repair but that's what i was told to expect up front. I guess I have a brand new butt section. Same serial # as the broken rod but obviously new blank, cork, reel seat, etc. Color matches rest of rod perfectly. Looks great. I am satisfied. I paid $65.00 S&H.

Posted on: 12/7 8:50

From Dallastown, PA
$50 to fix, $15 to ship. There ya have it.

Posted on: 12/7 23:12

From Montgomery, PA
I broke my TXL #000 weight . my bread and butter wild and native trout rod before starting to build my own. Sent it back to sage and I believe it cost 50$, but that was a few years ago..

Posted on: 1/27 13:06

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
isn't the first time I have heard bad thing about sage warranty. its a good reason to get a new rod. they get a lot of broken rods so that is the reason for long turn around. could go with an orvis and they would just give you a new one. that's real customer service. they might be nice rods but I also like a good warranty and theirs sucks and there are many companies out there that would just make you pay for shipping if that.

Posted on: 1/29 23:05

That policy stinks. You paid a lot more for a rod to get a "lifetime" warranty, and they still rock you a considerable amount. The $50 was reasonable, I guess. I suppose higher amount is still cheaper than a new rod.

Posted on: 3/3 14:01

From Philadelphia PA
I hate breaking rods. Maybe it's time to give up the ghost and buy a new one.

Posted on: 4/7 16:49
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Clearwater II. Stay Fishing MF

I had an old Sage GFL break in about the same spot while playing a big brown trout on Big Spring. It sounded like a 22 going off when it broke - I didn't know what the heck happened and no I didn't land the fish.
I got an old piece of rod from a junk store (might have even been an old glass spinning rod) and found an area of the junk rod that fit the taper inside of both sides of the break and epoxied it in place. Made some decorative type thread wraps over the break site and have been fishing with it for 5 or 6 yrs that way. As far down as that break is it really doesn't affect the action that much and mine is a 7 1/2' 5 wt.

Posted on: 4/14 22:16

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
48 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com