Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

bounce rigs fro nymphing?

From Glenside, PA
anyone ever use the 'bounce rig' for nymphing in PA? I was in Utah last week fishing the Provo River, and the bounce rig is big there. I liked fishing with it as it prevented alot of the normal hangups that I get when nymphing - but after reading a bit about the rig online..I'm not sure it would be as effective in PA waters. Does anyone have experience with bounce rigs in PA? I'd love to hear about trials/tribulations as well as leader formulas for constructing my own bounc rigs...

Posted on: 2012/4/11 9:50

Re: bounce rigs fro nymphing?
From Chester County
Quote:

pratt wrote:
anyone ever use the 'bounce rig' for nymphing in PA? I was in Utah last week fishing the Provo River, and the bounce rig is big there. I liked fishing with it as it prevented alot of the normal hangups that I get when nymphing - but after reading a bit about the rig online..I'm not sure it would be as effective in PA waters. Does anyone have experience with bounce rigs in PA? I'd love to hear about trials/tribulations as well as leader formulas for constructing my own bounc rigs...

Trial without tribulation mostly. It works for down and dirty nymphing. You can put a string of SS on the point with a fly or flies on the droppers, just use an overhand knot on the end to prevent them from slipping off. You can also use a dropper for the SS to get a more horizontal presentation. Give it a try.

Here's a PAFF thread from back a ways with a lot of nymphing rig tips: Nymphing rigs

Posted on: 2012/4/11 10:25

From Peasant Gap
I did something like this much of last year, where I put the weight on the end of the tippet and flies off of droppers behind it. In general, I liked this method. The main advantages are
1. No dead spot from the weight between the rod and the flies.
2. The line seemed easier to control and keep tight.
3. It seemed to cast a little better with the shot flying through the air first and dragging the flies and leader behind it. No hinging or bellying effect.

I don't think I really caught any more fish this way though, just seemed a little easier to handle for me personally. Also, I've weighing some of my anchor flies recently and comparing them to tin shot. I might just to back to putting a fly on the end of the tippet anyway, since the anchors weigh as much or more than several pieces of tin shot.

Posted on: 2012/4/12 0:06

Hey why ask us. Give it a go. My Son was a competitive fly fisherman and that was not allowed so I never even thought of it. I use a weighted nymph at the point and sometimes hook every rock like it was the claw to win a stuffed bear. I almost always hook up on my tag nymph.

I do love the dry dropper in deeper Pa waters.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 16:42

Hey why ask us. Give it a go. My Son was a competitive fly fisherman and that was not allowed so I never even thought of it. I use a weighted nymph at the point and sometimes hook every rock like it was the claw to win a stuffed bear. I almost always hook up on my tag nymph.

I do love the dry dropper in deeper Pa waters.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 16:42

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com