Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Blood Knots on tippet

From Southeast PA
I hate to say never, but I think the answer is never. I try to keep the loops fairly small, about a half inch to an inch at most in diameter, but with the small diameter of tippet the loops end up being more like parallel lines. The leader loop, even if it's maybe 3X, gets permanently "deformed" into this shape, so that sometime it's even difficult to slip the tippet loop through it. It's more like a slot. Now I do sometimes get my leader/tippet tangled around the loop connections at the butt end of the leader, but this is rare, and loop connections for leader-to-fly line are commonly used. And the loops don't affect my casting at all, as far as I can tell. Maybe some fly fishers with super-refined casting abilities and super-technical leader formulas would notice something, but not me.

Posted on: 2007/5/31 14:21

From York
I just read that in Lefty Kreh's book on flyfishing knots. Do you find the no slip mono loop difficult to close?

-Chris

Chris, Yeah, I have to catch the tag end between my teeth. I do the same with bloodknots--my dentist has a problem with this. Learned this knot the same place you did. I've used the overhand loops too and have had very little problems--but I've also lost some very nice fish from the loops breaking.

fritz

Posted on: 2007/6/2 18:09

From E-Town and Germania
I use perfection end loops on the leader and the tippet. A simple loop to loop connection (slip knot) and you are ready to go. When your tippet gets to short you don't have to bother with blood knots, just clip the old one off and loop on another tippet section. You can even make tippets ahead of time so you have no knot to tie at all. And I am 55, wear bifocals, and have pig fingers so if I can do it you guys can too.

Posted on: 2007/6/2 18:46

From West Chester PA
Furled leaders folks! Not braided, furled. There is a difference. I venture to say if you try one, you will never look back. I gave one a try 3 years ago and have not used anything else since.

Posted on: 2007/6/7 7:44

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
171 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com