Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2

Re: blood knot woes

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
That's strange. Well, maybe I'm strange. :)

I find blood knots easier with larger diameter than I do with small.

Posted on: 2012/4/13 9:31

From Clearfield
if your having trouble with blood knots you can always try
back-to-back uni knots....it will stay in line like a blood knot, is fairly similar (but i think easier) and the breaking strength shouldn't suffer too much........I think sometimes people don't realize that the difference between 96% knot strength and 88% knot strength with 4 lb tippet is less than 5 ounces....if that really matters to you then great but it can kind of make you wonder if the easier to tie knot may be the better way to go

for anyone wondering those were arbitrary numbers to show a point

Posted on: 2012/4/13 13:29

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
All knots are easy to tie once you learn and get good with them.

Don't get yourself in bad habits like me, you end up regretting them and trying to break them, which is harder than learning correctly from the get-go because you always want to revert back to what you know. Pick one and go with it.

Posted on: 2012/4/13 14:42

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
That's strange. Well, maybe I'm strange. :)

I find blood knots easier with larger diameter than I do with small.

Yeah, me too - hence the no blood knot thing below 2X (diameter). I find the 5/7 blood knot most useful when transitioning from Maxima Chameleon to softer tippet material. Once I get to the tippet sections, it's the surgeon's knot for the rest.

I like to use a double surgeons knot when adding droppers to a nymph rig - the knot doesn't lay "in-line" as well as the triple surgeons, and the dropper tag tends to stick out at an angle. Helps keep the dropper from twisting around the rest of the tippet. Tying a blood knot to connect 4X to 5X would require way too much caffiene for me, let alone trying to do that in the dark.

Posted on: 2012/4/13 18:19

From Johnstown, PA
Mike .........it's good 2 c u r still here. I have tried for almost a year now to find the TAP club you mentioned awhile ago and i have just about given up. Is it at the bottom of the dirt road that has the sign that says "Rifle Range" i fished the Wilmore Dam outflow and caught a few just last week , is that the north branch? If i could make arrangements to meet up with u out that way i will show u the easiest way to tie a blood knot you will never go back to doing it any other way or buying one of the many tools out there supposed to make it easy. For less than $20.00 u can put a kit together and tie your own leaders with ease , guaranteed. While fishing below the dam i ran into 2 local fellows who called that stream the "Little Conemaugh" is that the same stream? Get5 in touch. I ran into a fellow while fishing for steelhead in Erie who belonged to TAP and who said he knew you.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 9:37

From SEPA
A double uni or triple surgeons knot are good alternatives to the blood.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 10:14

I've pretty much given up on tying blood knots for leader diameters 3x and below. Double or triple surgeons knot works just as well, and is easier to tie- easy enough that it can often be done with a fly tied on at the tippet end. Important to keep both line loops evenly sized when tightening down, pulling it tight on both sides. And wet the knot before tightening, of course.

I might want a blood knot when fishing on 3x or 4x and using a dry dropper tied off of one of the tag ends, because it juts out at a right angle. But otherwise, the surgeon's knot hasn't failed me yet.

When joining the large butt end leader diameters with blood knots, it does help the tying to use a turn or two less for the larger diameter segment.

Above all, test those knots. Dry and wet.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 14:36

From florida
Uni knots.So simple an old guy can tie em.GG

Posted on: 2012/5/4 15:13

From Johnstown, PA
canyinz explain a uni-knot?

Posted on: 2012/5/4 21:38

From Lehigh Valley

Posted on: 2012/5/4 23:15

From Johnstown, PA
Thanks HA .........but it looks likea clinch knot 2 me unless i'm missin sumpin.

Posted on: 2012/5/5 7:12

From florida
It's like a nail knot? I find it easier than blood knots,but I use themfo every kind of tie frm Snelling hooks to leader Tippett ties.

Posted on: 2012/5/5 12:42

Practice using an old fly line- much easier than small tippet. Just cut into foot lengths or so and have at it. After a couple dozen or more you'll be a pro then work on the tippet sizes. If you lose the touch, just repeat for an evening with fly line. I still use Surgeons knot on the stream but the blood know looks better and is more stream lined going through guides. IMHO lol RW

Posted on: 2012/5/10 21:43

From Philadelphia
I'm with Heritage, once I gwet to 2x, the surgeon's knot is in order. I've never had one fail.
Coughlin

Posted on: 2012/5/12 6:51

From OH
For knots, I find this sight very useful http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/files/index.html

Posted on: 2012/5/12 18:02

« 1 2

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com