Bicycle Rod Holder

Acristickid

Acristickid

Plan on making more use out of my bike this year for fishing.

Since I am not one to carry a backpack around all day- though I might make a simple rod holder.

Thinking of using some pvc and drilling holes in the pipe to slide in those plastic ties.
(the ones sometimes used as handcuffs at Mardi Gras)

Or possibly using some metal clamps.

Anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks in advance, Paul.

At the jam, I just used a cardboard mailing tube. I believe I got it when I bought blanks mail order. I just taped it to the downtube of my bike. It was a bit awkward, but it got the job done.

Take any cycling advice from me with a bit of caution! ;-) What I did was use velcro ties to tie the rod tube along the bike's top tube. If you are bringing a 2pc rod, you can let the rod tube stick out the front. I never had any problems on the Stony Creek rails to trail. If you are doing more agressive mountain biking, the tube might get caught on vegetation.

I had a heavy duty rack for the back. On that, I put a big set of panniers. That's where I stowed my boots and waders, vest etc. There was even enough space for some apples or something. Depending on how far you go, you may need to take something with more calories. Biking can really burn the free sugars in your blood stream. Which is why it's great for losing weight. If you are biking to get somewhere, you want to manage your energy level a little better.

You can put a lot of weight on a bike without handling issues, IF you pack it well. Balance the weight side to side, and if possible front to back.

IMHO, you don't have to go too far back to get to the good fishing. Most guys will walk less than a mile on a trail. Still, going back a few miles can be a lot of fun. You'll see a lot more, get a touch of excercise and you can keep stopping at different places until you find that "goldmine".

Sounds like you have some experience being handcuffed at Mardi Gras!?!?!

Thanks for the suggestions.

jayl- probably looking for more of a long term solution but sounds like a good idea for a weekend deal

Pad- not sure what "panniers" are. Surely I will google that one as I am not mechanically inclined whatsoever.

David- Made a trip to Mardi Gras in 1991 sitting on the hump in the back seat of a Trans Am. I have never been charged with any crime.

Have a super day and remember to use your turn signals. Paul

Padraic wrote:
Take any cycling advice from me with a bit of caution! ;-) What I did was use velcro ties to tie the rod tube along the bike's top tube. If you are bringing a 2pc rod, you can let the rod tube stick out the front. I never had any problems on the Stony Creek rails to trail. If you are doing more agressive mountain biking, the tube might get caught on vegetation.

I had a heavy duty rack for the back. On that, I put a big set of panniers. That's where I stowed my boots and waders, vest etc. There was even enough space for some apples or something. Depending on how far you go, you may need to take something with more calories. Biking can really burn the free sugars in your blood stream. Which is why it's great for losing weight. If you are biking to get somewhere, you want to manage your energy level a little better.

You can put a lot of weight on a bike without handling issues, IF you pack it well. Balance the weight side to side, and if possible front to back.

IMHO, you don't have to go too far back to get to the good fishing. Most guys will walk less than a mile on a trail. Still, going back a few miles can be a lot of fun. You'll see a lot more, get a touch of excercise and you can keep stopping at different places until you find that "goldmine".

DAMN BICYCLES!!!

Panniers are storage bags that you mount on a rack on your bike. You can have them on the back and front of the bike or just the back. The bike will be more stable if the load is balanced front to back as well as side to side, but you'll be fine with the panniers in the back for what you need.

Here's an example of a fully loaded bicycle:
http://adventurecycling.org/routes/index.cfm
You'd only need equipment like that if you were going to say... cycle to Coburn for the weekend, camp out a few days and cycle home. There are folks who tour all over the world on bicycles. There are routes for sale at the link above that will let you circumnavigate the US. That's fun! :-D

Like Pad, I just strap my rod tube to the cross bar of my bike.
Of course, I have an older style - (cheap) - bike. On most of the newer ones - with shock absorbers - you don't have a long, parallel cross tube, so I guess you'd have to do something different.
I bought some "paper boy" baskets, - made of wire, - that ride over the back tire, and bolt to the wheel axle. They have plenty of room to carry my waders, boots, vest, and even a lunch box.

I've seen some people biking on the trails carrying their children in a small, tow along trailer, called a kiddy caboose. I've considered getting one, and carrying in a tent and sleeping bag, along with a cooler, and camping out for a few days along the trail

Was looking for a rack system to carry my fishing stuff that I could switch easily and quickly from bike to bike, or just mount /dismount it quickly without a lot off fuss, and found this rack:

Rack

......and this bag that mounts to it:

Bag

.......using these pannier rack add ons to the rack:

Dual Side Frames

It ain't cheap, but it works awesome! :cool:

Certainly alot of bike stuff out there I was not aware of. Probably be wearing the backpack while I ride this year. I don't see myself riding more than a half hour to an hour. Not sure if I will be doing overnights but I am sure some late night ones.

Paul,

Another thing you'll need is a good light. I frequently end up biking out in the dark.

I realize this is an older post but I haven't been on for awhile and just reading up. I use a mountain bike for trails and also backpack to remote waters. Never liked the rigs I'd had for the fishing rods. Best thing I can reccomend is a pack rod, 4 or 5 piece or a telescopic. I have eagle claw telescopic that has really good action for it's price, you never have to worry about breaking it and it fits nicely inside your daypack or fishing vest.

You might also want to check into a pack/vest, sort of like a fishing vest with more storage, not nearly as bulky as a back pack but fits all your stuff and then some.

I use a headlamp for light, no light on the bike, the headlamp puts the light wherever you're looking, best investment I ever made, got mine at campmor for less than $20 bucks.

Back