Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Any advice for fishing size 30's?

If not already mentioned,make sure hook point is slightly offset-this will drive barb in and better.[true]

Posted on: 2012/5/29 8:21

From Pgh
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:
Any offered suggestions for tips on fishing these small babies?

Ah yes, micro midging...

Gentle, sipping, porposing rises. 7X tippets. Teeny hooks. Magnifying clip-ons. Casting and casting for refusal after refusal after refusal... (x20) ...then -- finally -- a take! And a miss!

Trying again, and again and again and (x30). Changing to a 26 Gnat . Refusal after refusal after refusal... (x20) ...then -- finally -- a take! And a breakoff!

Trying again, and again and again and (x22). Changing to a #22 Cream midge. Refusal after refusal after refusal... (x15) ...then -- finally -- a take! Then a pull-out. Cursing. Then more cursing.

Trying again, and again and again and (x33). Changing to a #26 Griffiths Gnat. Refusal after refusal after refusal... (x41) ...then -- finally -- a take! Missed! Cursing. Then more cursing, loudly. And even more cursing. Then screaming expletives!

Trying again, and again and again and (x30). Changing to a #30 no-see-um. Refusal after refusal after refusal... (x20) ...then -- finally -- a take! Missed! Cursing. Then more cursing. Then cursing loudly. Then slamming my rod on the water, walking to my car, driving to the nearest bar and getting drunk.

I don't midge anymore... my nerves (and my liver) can no longer take it.

You want my personal advice on micro-midging? Don't do it.

Posted on: 2012/5/29 13:47

From Shrewsbury, PA
Green,

Don't know if you were fishing on top with the small stuff. By my experience, I get over 90% of my fish using midges below surface not in the film. I know midging can be frustrating at times, but many a day on the water where throwig "big" stuff without results has been saved by using midges below the surface.

Dale

Posted on: 2012/5/30 8:21

From Pgh
Dale,

I have actually fished midge larvae and pupae as a dropper on a larger dry fly. Which to me isn't nearly as bad as fishing those teeny things on top. And at times it can be effective.

I was being a bit of a wise a$$ before, but I do realize that at times fish love midges. It's just that I hate 'em. All that whining aside, there are still times I'll go down to the teeny stuff to save the day from a skunking. But not nearly as much as I used to. I'd rather just tie on an ant and toss it at the midgers. That change-up often works.

Posted on: 2012/5/30 12:12

From Abington
Fox seems to enjoy tiny hooks. I have a (I think) 32 dropper that he tied. Still catches fish.

And I actually use plastic for my snipes.

Quote:

barbless wrote:
Size 30 hooks. Oh-kayy...

I'm amazed that any of you can pull this off. It's out there with vaporware, shadow soup, and snipe hunting with a paper bag, as far as I can tell.

"There are some combinations that nobody can handle..."

Posted on: 2012/5/30 17:47

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
51 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com