Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

WTB: Cheap 7/8 Reel

From Bucks County
Hey Guys,

I am looking to buy a cheap reel to put on a fly rod that I found in my attic. The rod is an 8 weight and I am looking for something to throw on it. I am not looking for anything crazy, but if someone has a cheap reel just lying around that would fit this rod and want to sell it let me know.

Thanks,
Steven

Posted on: 2011/8/6 21:11

Re: WTB: Cheap 7/8 Reel

From Lehigh Valley

A 1960s rod deserves a proper 1960s reel. Go buy a Pflueger Medalist 1495 1/2 and be done with it.

Posted on: 2011/8/6 22:07

From Bucks County
Quote:
A 1960s rod deserves a proper 1960s reel. Go buy a Pflueger Medalist 1495 1/2 and be done with it.

I will have to look into those

//:EDIT://

I just purchased a Pflueger Medalist 1495 1/2. However I ended up purchasing the model with CJ printed on the reel which now I found out means made in Japan. Should have looked for the DA stamped reels. The things you learn after doing some research. Oh well...its a reel....and it looks sweet

Posted on: 2011/8/6 22:54

Edited by thebassman on 2011/8/6 23:22:44

From harlansburg
still a good reel, just not a collectable like the US made ones, probably a little better than the newer chinese ones though. should be a good match for your rod. most of the parts are interchangable throughout the years, regardless of country of origin.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 16:20

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

bikerfish wrote:
still a good reel, just not a collectable like the US made ones, probably a little better than the newer chinese ones though. should be a good match for your rod. most of the parts are interchangable throughout the years, regardless of country of origin.

With the exception of the drag washer and the bushing that sits inside it, all parts are interchangable.

I've got models spanning back almost 75 years, and I don't really think there's that much of a difference other than some of the plastic pieces. Frankly, my "primary" is a Chinese (AK) stamped model, and the latest aquistion which'll be my big boy reel is a CJ.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Left is the 1495AK, right is the 1498CJ. Obviously, the 1498 has been in my possession for more than a few hours, as it's met the Dremel.

DA is the post-Shakespeare model, anyway. So, if you wanna be proper, you want a non-letter coded "Patented" (non-reversable) or "Made in Akron O" stamped reel, versus a DA with "Made in USA" reel.

With all the talk of the American reels being better than the Japanese, and then repeat with the Japanese versus the Chinese, I just don't think I agree. They're basically the same. Was there more pride of worksmanship in the American ones? Probably. Is there more pride of ownership in them, sure they're older and as American as apple pie, but are they better? I really, and truly, disagree.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 18:59

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
103 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com