(1) 2 »

Wanted: New Vest

From Butler
willing and open to suggestions/prices

pm me and we'll talk

Posted on: 2009/4/10 12:51

Re: Wanted: New Vest

From Lehigh Valley
When a brand new one is available from Cabela's for $30, I don't think I'd want to buy someone's old one that's probably been sweated into, run through the dirt, mouldered in the corner, and had more fish goo and the occasional bleeding finger pressed into it by anyone who's not me.

Then, maybe I'm tough on things. :)

(fwiw, I'm thinking about a mesh vest, those are only $40!)

Posted on: 2009/4/12 22:06

From Bozeman
You're a new FFer, right? I'll save you the time and say to get a chest pack. A lot of people ditch the vest for one eventually anyway.

IMO, vests are really uncomfortable.

Posted on: 2009/4/12 22:16

bargaib cave at Cabela's in Hamburg had some for $9.99 this past Sat. Nice ones too!

Posted on: 2009/4/13 9:19

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

jayL wrote:
You're a new FFer, right? I'll save you the time and say to get a chest pack. A lot of people ditch the vest for one eventually anyway.

IMO, vests are really uncomfortable.

I don't understand the appeal of the chest pack, it just seems like it'd get really awkward and really quickly.

I briefly thought abotu buying the Orvis over-the-shoulder bag, and then just wearing one of those Columbia sport shirts with the sleeve garters, velcro pockets and rod holders. I'm sure you know what I mean.

But, in the end, that just seems almost as awkward as a chest pack, so I'll keep to the vest and just try to minimize the amount of junk I carry with.

Posted on: 2009/4/13 10:32

From Chester County
I wore a FF vest for many years. I switched to a chest pack a few years ago and I would never think of ever wearing a FF vest again.

gfen,

Which chest pack have you fished with, and what made it "ackward?"

Posted on: 2009/4/13 10:40

From Bozeman
If it's fitted properly, it's not awkward at all. I do prefer it over the vest, since all of your gear is always within reach, and it doesn't put 10 lbs of weight on the base of your neck. It also opens into a nifty little table on the stream.

I wear a wading jacket with big pockets when it's not too hot. Not sure what I'll do this summer, but my new waders have enough storage to hold tippet, 3 fly boxes, and some other trinkets. Hopefully it's adequate. If not, I have a chestpack.

Posted on: 2009/4/13 10:40

From Butler
i actually meant to say "chest pack" ... I already have a vest and a sling pack that I use, but I am looking for a chest pack --- I have found a few fishpond ones that I really like, a little pricey though..

Posted on: 2009/4/13 11:05

From Bozeman
Fishpond is good stuff, and worth the money.

I don't want to spend more than $50 on a pack, so here are a few that I'd consider:

On sale! http://tinyurl.com/SimmsDryCreek

The cabela's river guide line looks very interesting as well:
http://tinyurl.com/cogoz7

For fishpond, check ebay or fishing expos, though most of them are done for the year.

This guy is on sale: http://tinyurl.com/chestvest

I have one that is very similar to that one, and would be willing to trade for something I needed. Anything you'd like to get rid of? The jam has a gear swap, and that could be an option too.

Posted on: 2009/4/13 11:15

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

afishinado wrote:

Admittedly, none, which is why I specified that it "just seems like" it would be awkward; mostly because I'd hate the feeling of having it sitting on my stomach all day long. Its just not something I feel drawn to, and would much prefer to just the vest to distribute it around my body (although, most of that weight will get borne by the neck and shoulders as well).

Anyways, this is Ernie's thread, not mine, I was just confused why someone would buy someone else's grungy old vest when new ones were cheap.

Posted on: 2009/4/13 12:03

From Chester County
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Quote:

afishinado wrote:

Admittedly, none, which is why I specified that it "just seems like" it would be awkward; mostly because I'd hate the feeling of having it sitting on my stomach all day long. Its just not something I feel drawn to, and would much prefer to just the vest to distribute it around my body (although, most of that weight will get borne by the neck and shoulders as well).

gfen,

I agree with you about some chest packs. I tried and hated the kind of VP with a single large pouch up front. My line snagged on it, and it blocked my vision when I look down at my feet when wading or hiking. It was very ackward for me. I use now that VP as my bass outfit.

For trout, I settled on a vest pack with two smaller pouches that sit on each side. They stay out of my way and don't block my vision. I carry a lot of stuff, and my vest pack allows me to do that with comfort. Good fishin.

Posted on: 2009/4/13 12:39

From Butler
I will probably end up getting a fishpond pack - i like hiking & fishing, so the ones with the pack on the back works best for me

Posted on: 2009/4/13 15:49

From Bozeman
Look into a wading jacket if you do winter hiking.

I have found that my breathable wading jacket is the best outerwear for hiking, camping, and fishing in any weather below 60 or so. The added plus is that I get to smell campfire whenever I fish.

Posted on: 2009/4/13 16:08

From Butler
haha -- i have looked into wading jackets -- i dont think it would be my thing

as far as the trade: i dont really think i have anything that i'd be able to trade --- i'm gonna keep lookin at some things on ebay - maybe something will come up

Posted on: 2009/4/13 17:18

hey ernie ball

From Lehigh Valley
i have a real nice vest if you are interested its an extra that i had that has only ever had a rod and gun club pin put on it never been fished in and i dont need it .what size are you? let me know ,its an olive color has plenty of pockets
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Posted on: 2009/4/13 18:19

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
164 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com