Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

WANTED: Fly Tying Kit

From Ephrata,PA
Looking for a used but good shape fly tying kit. Nothing too fancy as long as it has the basics, vice, clippers, stacker, etc. Willing to but OR trade.

Posted on: 2009/2/6 23:36

Re: WANTED: Fly Tying Kit

Don't buy a kit. That's the best advice I can give you. Buy yourself a new simple vise. When you advance I'll buy it from you. My son uses them giving kids fly tying lessons. I recommend new or if you can find one that someone bought and never got into using it, that will work too. That way everything tightens like it should.

Figure out what you want to tie and then make a list of what you need. Go to the store and buy exactly what you need pattern wise and nothing else. Hooks will be the wallet killer. Keep that in mind. You might find mulitple patterns that you want to tye using the same type and size hook which would be good. Don't go nuts.

Things I would buy after that would be 3 spools of thread. Brown, orange and black.
Some dubbing. Brown and tan
Hackle. Don't buy a full hackle. Buy one ginger, one brown and one speckled grey or black.

Next hooks, beads and lead wire.

Some kits can be very old and full of bugs that you can't see. They will eat all the new stuff you buy and ruin it. Do not use road kill. It is illegal.

Posted on: 2009/2/7 13:49

From West Chester, PA
I totally 2nd Wetnet's suggestion.

Posted on: 2009/2/7 18:06

From Greensburg, PA
I agree a total kit is a bad idea but these are a good way to start. I bought one of these for a friend of mine when I moved away...so of course now he has t tie his own flies...and he does. The tools are fine and the vise is a good start. You can usually find it on sale, I think I paid 25 bucks for the one I got but that was 15 years ago.

Posted on: 2009/2/7 21:13

Yes I agree when it comes to tools. But the other stuff you get in a kit is usually stuff you don't end up using. If you find a good deal on a tool kit go for it, but don't pay allot. It will get you started but you'll want to buy a good ceramic bobbin if your kit doesn't have one after you get started abit. You'll figure it out like most everyone here did. Have fun shopping!

Posted on: 2009/2/8 21:42

From Central Jersey
All the advise on staying away from Kits is good. However if you go to Ebay, and click your way into fly tying stuff, then do a search with the word "lot" you will find folks selling all of their fly tying stuff as one "lot". Sometimes you will find some good deals there.

Mostly, listen to the above advice.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 7:51

From Lewistown
I have found a decent kit (but I still wouldn't buy it0

Spirit River has an outstanding kit, but for $80 you could still get better and more stuff than what comes in the kit -- probably paying a chunk for its elaborate packaging.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 7:55

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com