Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

FS: Hardy Glass "The Stream" 7' 3wt

From Pittsburgh
For sale, 2 piece modern fiberglass from Hardy. This 7' 3wt is in excellent condition. Includes rod bag, tube, varnished cork stopper, and protective bag for tube. Asking $230.00 (add $10.00 for shipping in the lower 48 please). Any questions please feel free to PM. Thanks.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 1/15 21:11

Edited by turkey on 2014/1/15 21:33:17

Re: FS: Hardy Glass "The Stream" 7' 3wt

From Ephrata, PA
Dang I wish!

Posted on: 1/16 8:32

From Hershey
How are those reel seats to work with?? I've never used one without a locking nut. I would think the reel would be prone to loosening up or falling off??

Posted on: 1/16 8:40

From Ephrata, PA
On light rods you see the sliding rings like that. I never owned a rod with the sliding rings like that, but in October I used a 2wt glass rod for a weekend trip to the Cross Fork area and never had an issue.

Posted on: 1/16 8:43

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

troutpoop wrote:
How are those reel seats to work with?? I've never used one without a locking nut. I would think the reel would be prone to loosening up or falling off??

I agree with Andy on this. I was apprehensive about the sliding band at first but it's never been an issue. The bands on these Hardys are wider than most rings used on seats and they seem to have a chamfered interior that better accepts the
reel foot. Ive never had a problem with them. The only hardware I've ever had come loose was on an Orvis Superfine and that was only the first couple times I used it.

Posted on: 1/16 9:05

From Westmoreland/Tioga
Quote:

troutpoop wrote:

Looks: Not as pretty as a piece of figured wood.

Function: The best. The cork is compressed when the top band is slid over the reel foot. While compressed the cork pushes against the reel foot keeping it from sliding around. Easier to lockup, less prone to loosening, cheaper. Whats not to like?

Posted on: 1/16 9:28

From Lansdale
Is that lower ring, near the rod's butt, screwed THROUGH the cork?

Posted on: 1/16 11:15

From Westmoreland/Tioga
Quote:

KeithS wrote:

While I have never seen a design like on this rod, I am fairly certain that lower reel seat is not held on by screws into the cork.

My guess is that they are pins or rivets through either the cap piece extended under the cork or whatever is under the cap piece.

Again, to me and anyone who values function over form, a cork reel seat either dual rings or cap and ring is a plus.

Posted on: 1/16 12:16

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

KeithS wrote:

Hi Keith. I'm not sure of the exact construction or how the lower "pocket" is mounted. Superficially it looks like 4 slotted screws seated in the grip but I've never disassembled it. My guess is that it's anchored by something solid under the grip like an arbor. Its a very stable platform and Hardy has been using this design for a very long time.

Posted on: 1/16 22:03

From Lansdale
Thanks, Turkey.

Posted on: 1/17 20:26

From Maytown, PA
I actually owned a Hardy The Stream rod for a while and the reel seat was very solid. When I first saw the lower seat, I wondered but never had a problem. Both are very fine rods.

Posted on: 1/19 13:32

From chester ct
That reel holding design is a signature trait that Hardy has used a long time. I have some very old Hardy canes with it, including a wonderful 3p, same model that was Ike's fave. It's also on a glass 7'6" 4 wt Perfection, a very smooth caster.

Posted on: 1/19 13:51

From Pittsburgh
Les, I have the 3wt and 4wt Perfection Glass rods and they are dynamite, and yes, they are the same reel seats. They are a noticeably slower action than these modern glass rods by Hardy. Both series are great casters. Just different feels. I wanted to try collect them all but it wasn't to be.

Posted on: 1/19 14:41

From Pittsburgh
Super Bowl Sunday bump.

Posted on: 2/2 9:09

From Hershey
I bought the 4wt and it is in GREAT condition. The transaction went smoothly and there isn't a scratch on my rod.
I may even put the new reel I bought for it and waive it around in the yard today.

Posted on: 2/2 11:23

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com