Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Early Black Stonefy - Aurora Snowfly (Allocapnia aurora)

From PA and NH
Saw several of these stones today on the Lehigh, didn't see any rises but caught them on a dark nymph I tie. What say you Sandman.

Attach file:

jpg  stone.jpg (126.85 KB)
3094_4f3f0e2f58608.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2012/2/17 21:34

Edited by Maurice on 2012/4/29 11:46:26

Re: V E Stone

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Aurora Snowfly (Allocapnia aurora)

Posted on: 2012/2/18 6:17

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Shrewsbury, PA
I've been recently having success with little black stone soft hackles as the trailing fly with a blackfly nymph as the lead fly. Size 18. I use starling feather as the soft hackle with black ice dubbing as the body. I too have seen the adults but no rises so that's why I went to the soft hackle (emerger).

Dale

Posted on: 2012/2/18 7:55

From Dallastown, PA
Bob,

So is that NOT a stonefly? Or is the Snofly just another name for it because of the time of year.....

I am working along the Little Conowago and have been for weeks and am seeing not only the #18 EB stones but the other day had a bunch of these on my fabric. All with egg mass on their behinds. Must have thought it was the river.

Anyway, their wings are four in number and much longer than their body.

Posted on: 2012/2/18 8:06

From Chester County
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
Bob,

So is that NOT a stonefly? Or is the Snofly just another name for it because of the time of year.....

I am working along the Little Conowago and have been for weeks and am seeing not only the #18 EB stones but the other day had a bunch of these on my fabric. All with egg mass on their behinds. Must have thought it was the river.

Anyway, their wings are four in number and much longer than their body.

The Winter black stoneflies are often called "snowflies."

Here is a list I found of snowflies/stoneflies and their scientific name:

http://paaquaticfliesrus.bd.psu.edu/w ... /StoneflyCommonNames.aspx

Posted on: 2012/2/18 8:14

From PA and NH
This is the age of google but I'd rather let sandfly either recall it or look it up in a real book. It's just a better brain exercise. It was almost an inch long and there were not a load of them flying or crawling but I imagine more swimming.

Posted on: 2012/2/18 8:23

since the adults hatch from shoreline the trout don't get to see them on the surface, that's why a nymph and wet fly works and you don't see risers..When the come back to lay eggs you might see a rise or 2 but rare..try a small tuft of white dubbing behind the dry fly about 4 to 6 inches back trout key in on the egg cases under the surface..

Posted on: 2012/2/18 14:53

Quote:
This is the age of google but I'd rather let sandfly either recall it or look it up in a real book. It's just a better brain exercise. It was almost an inch long and there were not a load of them flying or crawling but I imagine more swimming.

Are you saying I need brain exercise ?? lol

Posted on: 2012/2/18 14:55

From PA and NH
We all need some brain exercises when you're in the over 50 club. I knew it as a winter stone, the larger of the two I normally see but was curious about the Latin name. This is a great addition to this site, kudos to DKile, especially for the longtime trout addict. I use the web as much as the next guy but I prefer my fishing info to come first hand or maybe second hand , like my gear.

Posted on: 2012/2/18 17:31

From Dallastown, PA
I find the action to be better on top when the sun is out and the stones are a sktterin. today did not disappoint. Not rare. I fished a nymph and wet for three hours and two on a Pt. then when they rose I got one on a dry stone.

I guess I gotta cal them snowflys now.

Posted on: 2012/2/18 21:15

From PA and NH
Yeah, they were coming in for a hard landing and skidding across the top and I was ready to switch to a dry but it wasn't to be, even with the sun shining it was cold freestone water and the browns are hunkered down.

Posted on: 2012/2/18 22:40

From LV
Oh I've seen them hatch from the water.

Posted on: 2012/2/21 18:07

From Bozeman
Me too. Also have seen pretty regular rising activity to them.

I agree with sandfly that it's not the rule (and I rarely depend on the fishing with them), but I have seen both the midstream hatching and rising fish many times.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 14:46

From PA and NH
Maybe it's the nature of the larger water, but no matter how much I try I get more action with nymphs than duns on this size stone. Hey Jay, you tying those foam abominations that pass for terrestrials out there?

Posted on: 2012/2/25 19:55

From Bozeman
A few, but I've got oncoming hordes of caddis, baetis, and stoneflies to deal with first.

Last july, I caught some real nice fish out here on a letort cricket, so I'll be tying traditional ones too.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 21:42

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com