Would you recommend:
Spring Creek Strategies: Hatches, Patterns, and Techniques
by
Mike Heck

I need a bit of advice,
Please let me know if you recommend this book
Any insights highly appreciated.

ISBN 0979346045

Yes. Great read and Mike is a super nice guy if you get the chance to meet him or fish with him do so!

He visits this site from time to time under the name furandfeathers.

Enjoy!

Yes. This is an excellent book.

If you scroll down thru the Reader's Corner Board, there has been some previous discussion of this book.

Yes, it does a good job of concisely explaining how to fish spring-fed creeks and what flies work on them. It is certainly worth adding to your fly-fishing library.

Hopefully the author, Mike Heck (firandfeather on this site) is not too shy and will respond to this post.

BTW skybay, before I even knew of or met Mike Heck, I bought this book and gave it a good review. I believe the same can be said for others on this board........not many homies on here when it comes to recommendations for books or gear or [d]anything else[/d] ([color=FF0000]except dachshunds[/color]). IMO anyway.

Except dachshunds. We love dachshunds. :)

afishinado,
I sent skybay a PM. Did not want to ruffle any feathers with a post. I do thank you all for all the great comments. As many have stated to me- it was one of the first books to really tackle the problem with fly fishing spring creeks. And with that we all know the patterns and tactics worte about can be use on any stream or river.

I do want to say, over the past years it is finally cool to put some faces with the poster names. Looking forward to fishing littlelehigh and a few others again. Getting ready to head down the the NCC-TU show. Sounds like We will be coming home to flooded streams.

Best Wishes,
Mike Heck

jayL wrote:
Except dachshunds. We love dachshunds. :)

That's what I'm talkin about (and Benny too) :-D

Mike,
Good luck with the NCC-TU show.

firandfeather wrote:
afishinado,
I sent skybay a PM. Did not want to ruffle any feathers with a post.

You are both a scholar and a gentleman..

FWIW, I haven't actually read much of it since I picked it up, but what really stood out is that its a good looking book. You can see that just on picking it up. The pages are nice, heavy stock. The photos are very illustrative and pack a great visual punch. On top of that, the couple chapters I did read did a fine job of really relaying the information without turning dry.

Its a really nice book, well written and presented.

Received this book as an early birthday gift this weekend. The girlfriend has really learned how to buy for me.

Mike, the book is head and shoulders better than I was expecting, and I was expecting a good book after hearing the favorable reviews. I have read about 80% and scanned the parts I haven't yet gotten to, and it's all good stuff. Well done.

I agree with gfen. It's one of the more attractive books on my shelf, and will get at least a few months coffee table duty.

I recommend it, skybay.

Jay,
Glad you like, Spring Creek Strategies". So glad to hear it is better than you expected!!
Mike

I reread my post, and don't want it to sound like an underhanded compliment.

I wasn't expecting a bad book, I just had no idea how information on such a broad and complex subject would be arranged. Your book, in my opinion, is a fine example.

I also was not expecting "limestoners" to be covered, rather just spring creeks. I was pleasantly surprised to find that wasn't the case. Another part I enjoyed was that the distinction between them was covered, as that's something I have tried to explain to new FFers before.

No Jay, from what was stated was not a bad post. I loved your post and would not be upset at all if someone would say the book sucked. I have heard from many some have said the same, " how did you narrow it down". I say the first chapter was the worst. Believe me- had my wife read it and she use a broad red pen!! I just like what all you and others say about my book. I'm still suprised and will always be suprised on all the responces.

Like I say to everyone, "I'm just Mike from Fayetteville". Always will be that way.
Mike

Love the book, any plans for a DVD?

Not at this point.
Mike

Well, Mike from Fayetteville, it's nice to see someone who knows a great deal without an ego. I have run into some big names over the years, and though Geo. Harvey, CK Fox, and Vincent Marinaro were gentlemen, I have, sadly, encountered those whose heads were too large to fit under their fishing caps. You are refreshing and appear to be cut from the mold of the 3 gentlemen I mentioned. Have a good year on the water.

rrt,
Thanks man!! I hope to meet more of you over the year. I was going to make last years trico jam, but the day was changed. I hope to make one this year.
I know what you mean. I have meet many, fished with many and nothing is worse than a big ego. It is not me, I was not raised that way. I just do this for the love.

Mike

Mike is such a down to earth and friendly guy, you wonder if he's really the guy that wrote one of the best flyfishing books out there. Until you see him fish. :-o

I'd fish with him ANYTIME (hint hint).

Back