Tying Furled Flies by Ken Hanley (Review)

flyfishermanj

flyfishermanj

OK, my wife loves me! She's a bargain shopper and often stops at Ollie's and goes through the book section to see if there are any fishing related books. Sometimes she finds gold other times a dud, but at a fraction of the original price it's a good risk. This past weekend she picked up Tying Furled Flies: Patterns for Trout, Bass, and Steelhead for me and I must say it was gold. I will admit that it isn't the best book I have, but it is a worthy keep in the personal library.
With the ever increasing onslaught of new materials and the rediscovering of some of the older stuff. The furling technique displayed by the author has some definite possibilities. The book's tutorials of the furling and some of the author's patterns are well done and illustrated clearly. Now some of these patterns will have a place in my fly box, whiles others seem a bit too detailed for their own good.
Overall, this is a quick and easy read, and put together nicely. I'm not sure that I would rush out and pay full price for it. But if you do happen across it at a discounted price, pick it up. So I do tip my hat to Mr. Hanley and give him kudos on a nice book. The knowledge and techniques he shared has given me a fresh look at some old patterns. Now, I might trick that finicky old brown trout that has seen the same patterns a thousand times over the course of a particular hatch.

JH

51b00q7lqjL._SS500_.jpg

My wife gets me the same book for Christmas.

Most of the book is loaded with furling; twisting, wrapping and reefing instructional bugs color photographs (500 photos)
My favor one: the Green Drake with olive legs and the small plastic eyes.
[color=0000CC]~~~[/color]

Back