Trout Madness- Robert Traver

Acristickid

Acristickid

I had never read any of this author's books before but felt inspired to read them based on very positive comments from the board.

I found a copy at a satellite branch of Carnegie Library in Wilkinsburg. I should be finished with "Trout Madness" this week if anyone was looking for this read. If you are in Allegheny Co. they will even send it to your local library. Cool deal- free can't beat it.

Oh, so far so good- chapter 3.

One of the greatest books- describing how bad off, we fly fishermen, really are! (especially the chapter on "The Fish Car"!!)
An excellent, read, hope you enjoy it!
When you've finished IT, find and read "Trout Magic", by Traver!
(Then,his- "Laughing Whitefish", if you want to continue on!?)

Trout Madness is my favorite fishing book. My favorite stories in it are "Big Secret Trout" and, especially, "The Intruder." IMO, "The Intruder" is one of the best fly-fishing stories ever written.
I am glad you are enjoying the book. I believe it and "Trout Magic" really helped to shape my views about fly-fishing.

Traver was great.. In a world where too many fishing writers have become so reliably predictable and pretentious, he was a breath of fresh air IMO.

We were in the UP this past September and I picked up several of the courtroom/mystery novels he wrote under his real name, John Voelker. Virtually every bookstore from Marquette to Iron River has piles of them, mostly used paperbacks.

An interesting thing about Voelker is that, back in the late 50's when the royalties started rolling in both from the book and movie "Anatomy of a Murder" he flat out quit his day job as a Michigan Superior Court Judge in order to write full time and fish when and where he wanted to.

And that, IMO, is the way things ought to be. Life's too short...

Robert Traver -- one of my heroes -- lived a writer's dream life: a successful and respected judge writes a best seller on the side and retires early on the royalties in order to fly fish and write about the adventure(s).

What a fishermensch!

;p-)

Back