Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: The Vanishing Trout - a book review

I picked up an autographed copy of this in 2003 on Ebay for over $100 bucks. Great read, as the Sock was my stomping grounds for over 20 years.

Very familiar with many of holes mentioned, including one of my favorites, Cold Watch!

Posted on: 2012/6/9 12:47

Where does the name "Cold Watch" come from?

Posted on: 2012/6/15 13:09

From Pittsburgh
I finally kinda gave up on finding this book at a more reasonable price - and went to the library to get it. They don't lend it out there though, and I had to read it "in house". So I spent 3 hours or so reading it there sunday afternoon. And at that, I only got through about two thirds of it. I'll have to go back and finish it sometime

He certainly was an environmentalist ahead of his time
He had an interesting proposal for restoring the weakening trout populations - close off to fishing all streams that were a yard or less wide, to act as nursery waters. He did acknowledge, however, how hard it would be to enforce a rule like that.
And - rather oddly IMO - no mention at all of catch and release fishing. Guess that idea was just never even considered at that time

The one chapter - called "my fly book" - talked about the patterns he carried. There weren't very many - like a dozen or so - and I guess they were mostly wet flies.
He did say however, that dryfly fishing was the "most sporting" way to go. And that if he had more fishing days ahead of him, than behind him, he would throw out all of those wet flys, and fish only dries

Posted on: 2013/1/28 22:31

Here's a first edition copy for sale for $56.

http://www.biblio.com/books/165916680.html

That's a good price.

Posted on: 2013/2/5 23:24

From Armstrong County
I bought this book this past fall but haven't gotten to it yet. It's next in line though.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 12:31

From LV
I bought a new copy from FFP several years ago, and after that I searched around the net , Alibris had a first edition so now I have 2 copies. I also found "Bodines." which is an old book about the Lycoming.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 18:19

From Oxford, Chester Co., PA
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pasulliv/gallery/Rafting.htm

Dwight: In this 1928 publication, the author, Fred Rogers, mentions the "Cold Watch" as being located below the mouth of Ogdonia Run. He does not explain the origin of the name or the nature of the water at that location but he mentions that it is (was) located on the Moses Lewis Farm. I believe Charles Lose mentions fishing the Lewis Farm in "Vanishing Trout."

Posted on: 2013/2/21 23:43

Quote:

Tups wrote:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pasulliv/gallery/Rafting.htm

Dwight: In this 1928 publication, the author, Fred Rogers, mentions the "Cold Watch" as being located below the mouth of Ogdonia Run. He does not explain the origin of the name or the nature of the water at that location but he mentions that it is (was) located on the Moses Lewis Farm. I believe Charles Lose mentions fishing the Lewis Farm in "Vanishing Trout."

Good stuff. I think Vanishing Trout also mentions there being a Lewis sawmill. There is still a Lewis Lumber company in the area.

Posted on: 2013/2/22 13:55

From Mont Co, Pa
I got this brand new reprint (1993) of that awesome book for $60. It puts you back in a time when streams were teeming with big natives! I've read it twice so far.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1469 (Custom).JPG (15.50 KB)
2119_512f6e222ef43.jpg 270X360 px

Posted on: 2013/2/28 9:48

From Armstrong County
Well I'm a little over halfway through this book, guess I'm taking my time and savoring it. So far my favorite chapters have been A Week On Middle Creek and A Week at Long Cabin With Johnnie. Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong time period, I'd love to go back and experience the PA mountains when they were still unspoiled.

Posted on: 2013/6/16 10:51

From Oxford, Chester Co., PA
Mountainbrookie: I am in complete sympathy with your thoughts on the stories in this book. Loses' account of one of his annual week-long visits to Johnny's camp is priceless. His description of the rise and fall of the tributary below the cabin window sticks in my mind, and the tale of the hog and rattlesnake reveals the author's love of the rustic life. I can't get enough of this subject.

Another PA author of a generation prior to Lose is Henry Shoemaker, who also wrote in the arcadian vein. Good stuff.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 13:05

From Monessen, PA
Just to be contrary, I wonder if the author exaggerated to "make his point?" Thoughts?

Posted on: 2013/7/10 13:18

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

JackM wrote:
Just to be contrary, I wonder if the author exaggerated to "make his point?" Thoughts?
Hey, he was a fisherman, they all lie, I mean stretch the truth, I mean exaggerate, you know what I mean. On a more serious note I own a copy of the 1993 reprint and it is a VERY good read. I love the history.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 15:15

Jack,
My thought is that he didn't exaggerate. Old guys spoke of the nice brook trout in streams around here a couple generations before I started fishing. Fortunately, the streams have held up well enough to produce wild browns.

Have you ever read the book? If not, you really ought to. It is a nice read and really speaks of the dear departed days of yesteryear. I might, and I emphasize might, even be willing to lend you my copy.

Rich

How's my paragraphing now?

Posted on: 2013/7/10 21:02

From Monessen, PA
Better, Rich. I may see if the library has it. Sounds like a good read, even if a few tall tales are sprinkled in for good measure.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 21:43

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com