The River Why? by David James Duncan

flyfishermanj

flyfishermanj

David James Duncan's book "The River Why?" was a very enjoyable read! For those of you that read only the technical and "How To" books about fly-fishing, you are overlooking this gem of a book. The River Why is the story about the first twenty-some years of Gus Orviston's life as a fisherman, actually goes back to when his "Ma" and father met. It's takes you on a humorous ride through growing up and coming of age, while being addicted to fishing. You may struggle through the first chapter or two, but stick with it, you will enjoy the rest of it. You may even find a little of " Gus Orviston" in you. As I mentioned earlier, you won't become a better nymph fisher or learn to tie the perfect dryfly. I do think after reading this book that you will enjoy our sport of fly-fishing even more. The only disappointment I had with this book was that it ended, even found myself limiting my reading to a couple sections at a time to prolong it.

JH

PS.. Here's a link to the book The River Why?

Great book and I am looking forward to the movie that will be released later this year.

I have read so many fly-fishing how-to books it is nice to read a good adventurous fiction novel for a change.

Can anyone recommend any other fiction or non-fiction novels similar to this one? I am always looking for good books to read on my train commute each day. I have read a few books by John Krakauer (Into the Wild, Into Thin Air, Eiger Dreams). These novels were not about fly-fishing, but more non-fiction adventure type novels.

CLS- I also enjoy the same type of books.

This book was ok and a pretty easy read- hopefully you can get it at your local library. Although- I think the guy really had a death wish.
http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl/9780345426055.html

Also another fun and easy read. This book started my thoughts on hiking the Appalachian Trail. I hiked the states of North Carolina and Tennessee in 2001. It is a supreme commitment to thru hike the AT. Bryson- slack packed it as the real thru hikers would say. Met lots of characters- 70 year old retirees, whole family of 8 people with several young kids, 19 year old girl by herself.

http://www.randomhouse.com/features/billbryson/bb_title/display.pperl?isbn=9780767902526

I will check those two books out. Thanks. "A Walk in the Woods" was also recommended by a friend of mine. I think that will be next on my list.

Hey, are you in Sarasota currently? I am headed down to Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda area in March and I was hoping to rent a kayak and cruise around Charlotte Harbor for Reds or Snook. Any advice where to go around there in a kayak or possibly do some shore fly-fishing? I was thinking of heading out to Sanibel to shore fish with my father. I started a post a few weeks back and you may have replied to it, but I didn't get many other replies.

Thanks again, Rob

CLS,

A Walk in the Woods is a must read!! Had me laughing out loud a lot!! Here's a review/thread from awhile back: "Walk in the Woods" thread.

The first book mentioned by ackid also sounds interesting, though I've seen the documentery about that guy. He did have a death wish that's for sure! Just might have to check the book out.

JH

I haven’t read “The River Why” but like Krakauer books too. If you like the adventure nonfiction genre here’s a couple other good reads for your commute:

Brutal Journey: The Epic Story of the First Crossing of N. America by Paul Schneider. Not Lewis and Clark but an expedition of spanish explores that started out in 1528 with 600 men, and only 4 survived.

Worst Journey in the World by Apsley Cherry-Garrard. Its about Scott’s ill-fated expedition to the South Pole. Cherry was the youngest member of the team and one of 3 to make the perilous winter journey. He was also part of the search party that found Scott’s and his companions’ bodies. Its a classic and great winter read because it makes the worst PA winter seem mild and cabin fever more tolerable.

I am 100 pages into "A Walk in the Woods" and I love this book! It is so damn funny. Thanks for the recommmendation on this one. I cannot believe I hadn't bought this sooner. I also bought the "Brutal Journey" book. I can't imagine this one will be as comical . . .

I try to imagine if I could actually walk over 2000 miles on the AT. I know my problem would be that I would stray off course and fish for eight hours and never make any progress . . .

Thanks agian,
Rob

This book was great, possibly even Tintinnabulatious. I am not an avid reader, but I enjoyed this very much. I also found myself putting the book down so I would not finish it too quickly.

I have been anonymous on this board for awhile now, but signed up so I could chime in on this topic. Almost gave myself the username "Three Fingered Johnny" just because it sounded cool. Instead, I went with the 1st place I ever went fly fishing. Just to round out the whole circle here, my buddy in Colorado who got me started there was the one who sent me the book. Thanks Ben.

11mile is a great palce.

Staying with adventure books try Undaunted Courage by Ambrose- about Lewis and Clark.

Also, try Nothing Like it in the World by Ambrose- about the transcontinental railroad.

Back