Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Sportmans Connection PA Atlases?

What are your opinions on these new atlases? They have a western PA atlas and an eastern PA atlas and they are $30 apiece.

Based on what I saw on their website, I had high hopes these would be super maps, but I took a look at the western PA atlas in Barnes & Noble, and I'm disappointed.

Either my eyes are going bad or these maps are so poorly designed as to be nearly illegible. They certainly had ambitious goals, but they are just badly designed.

I keep hoping someone will do better atlases than DeLorme, but these are not DeLorme beaters, IMHO.

Posted on: 2009/4/17 22:34

Re: Sportmans Connection PA Atlases?

From Mont Co, Pa
I've never even seen them. Actually, all things considered though, I like the DeLorme Pa Atlas & Gazetteer very much. Especially for the cost. But speaking of let downs, I didn't do cartwheels when I got my laminated Higbee's Stream Map of Pa. It's OK, but not at all what I had expected for the price.

Posted on: 2009/4/17 22:47

From York County
Troutbert,

I got all excited about these maps last fall and posted about them on here but before you spend your $25 at Wal-Mart or your $30 at Gander Mt. I will say that yes, the streams are color coded for natural reproduction, Class A, and wilderness trout streams but I too noticed that they are hard to look at.

First of all, I can barely make out the printed stream names on the map as they are light gray and not solid printed letters. The streams are also not so bold or easy to see.

Another thing that really started to disapoint me was that the maps overlap from page to page by about a half inch, so any thing near the center crease is double printed. You will see the same area of stream or road mirrored near the crease.

And finally, the binding tore and pages started falling out from the York Co. page on, (no coincidence).

1. I don't like the binding, it is weak

2. The pages are crappy paper

3. The print is; dull, not sharp, poor, hard to see/read, not bright or colorful, and my eyes hurt after looking at them for too long.

I think if they had made these atlasses so that they can be folded open all the way (like the DeLormes), and if they had printed them with more presise, bold, and easier to see, and on better paper, they might have had the right idea. I mean come on, I can hardy read some stream names. And they are not very vehicle friendly. I like to fold my Delormes up when I'm driving, so that when I'm at a stop sign I can quickly glance at just one page and find what I am looking for.

Posted on: 2009/4/20 18:50

From York County
And Wildtrout2,

I have a laminated Higbee's map I bought at The Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show. I like them, but not for any thing other than that they look good on the office wall. I bought it for $10 about 17 years ago.

Posted on: 2009/4/20 18:55

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
120 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com