SD cards

TimRobinsin

TimRobinsin

ok, so I'm new to the whole HD video thing. I received a Nikon AW100 for christmas (thank you fan!) and now that I have had it out a couple times to film fishing trips I have to ask: when it comes to SD cards, what is good enough?

I currently have a 16g 30MB/s sandisk ultra SDHC class 6 card and it shoots great.

this brings me to my question, will bumping up to a 32g 45MB/s class 10 really improve video quality?

the only reason I ask is because recently I was on a relatively short outing where I filled my card very quickly. This got me thinking that it might not be a bad I idea to have another card for really long outings. If I pick up another card I thought it might be worth bumping up to a higher class and capacity.

what do you guys think?

Increasing the card size does not improve your video quality. It just allows you to store more images.

It also allows you to store images and video at a higher quality, so it does address the problem that OP has. Most new cameras allow you to up the resolution, and potentially framerate for video (I don't do video, so no idea).

Yeah, getting a larger card allows you to film at higher quality without running out of space so quickly How profound that quality improvement is, is beyond me.

The class is also the "speed" of which the memory is stored. Higher class = quicker response time.

Back