Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Royal Coachman: The Lore and Legends of Fly Fishing by Paul Schullery

This is a nice hodge-podge of fly-fishing subjects collected in one place. It mixes historical topics with actual fishing subjects. Though you may have read some of these chapters in magazines, I think you'll enjoy the interesting mixture of topics. Some who frequent the forums might be particularly interested in Chapter 10, "Civilized Fishing," where Schullery examines varying attitudes about fly-fishing in modern times without taking sides. He notes a difference between rural and urban fishermen's perspectives. Chapter 4, "Carlisle Mornings," is a surprise look at fly-fishing there long before Marinaro et. al. wrote about it. Schullery, former director of the American Museum of Fly Fishing, has an almost encyclopedic knowledge of fly-fishing. Though a much different type of author than Gierach, I think he is equally interesting. I highly recommend "Royal Coachman."

Posted on: 2011/6/1 12:30

Re: Royal Coachman: The Lore and Legends of Fly Fishing by Paul Schullery

From SEPA

I've wanted this book for awhile, actually. I see it comes recommended?

I like fishing books that aren't about the how, but more about the why... From descriptions nad your review, it surely sounds like this fits the bill.

Posted on: 2011/6/1 13:12

Re: Royal Coachman: The Lore and Legends of Fly Fishing by Paul Schullery

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

rrt wrote:
This is a nice hodge-podge of fly-fishing subjects collected in one place. It mixes historical topics with actual fishing subjects. Though you may have read some of these chapters in magazines, I think you'll enjoy the interesting mixture of topics. Some who frequent the forums might be particularly interested in Chapter 10, "Civilized Fishing," where Schullery examines varying attitudes about fly-fishing in modern times without taking sides. He notes a difference between rural and urban fishermen's perspectives. Chapter 4, "Carlisle Mornings," is a surprise look at fly-fishing there long before Marinaro et. al. wrote about it. Schullery, former director of the American Museum of Fly Fishing, has an almost encyclopedic knowledge of fly-fishing. Though a much different type of author than Gierach, I think he is equally interesting. I highly recommend "Royal Coachman."
+1 for this book and author. Good read!!

Posted on: 2011/6/1 14:10

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com