Royal Coachman: The Lore and Legends of Fly Fishing by Paul Schullery

R

rrt

This is a nice hodge-podge of fly-fishing subjects collected in one place. It mixes historical topics with actual fishing subjects. Though you may have read some of these chapters in magazines, I think you'll enjoy the interesting mixture of topics. Some who frequent the forums might be particularly interested in Chapter 10, "Civilized Fishing," where Schullery examines varying attitudes about fly-fishing in modern times without taking sides. He notes a difference between rural and urban fishermen's perspectives. Chapter 4, "Carlisle Mornings," is a surprise look at fly-fishing there long before Marinaro et. al. wrote about it. Schullery, former director of the American Museum of Fly Fishing, has an almost encyclopedic knowledge of fly-fishing. Though a much different type of author than Gierach, I think he is equally interesting. I highly recommend "Royal Coachman."

I've wanted this book for awhile, actually. I see it comes recommended?

I like fishing books that aren't about the how, but more about the why... From descriptions nad your review, it surely sounds like this fits the bill.

rrt wrote:
This is a nice hodge-podge of fly-fishing subjects collected in one place. It mixes historical topics with actual fishing subjects. Though you may have read some of these chapters in magazines, I think you'll enjoy the interesting mixture of topics. Some who frequent the forums might be particularly interested in Chapter 10, "Civilized Fishing," where Schullery examines varying attitudes about fly-fishing in modern times without taking sides. He notes a difference between rural and urban fishermen's perspectives. Chapter 4, "Carlisle Mornings," is a surprise look at fly-fishing there long before Marinaro et. al. wrote about it. Schullery, former director of the American Museum of Fly Fishing, has an almost encyclopedic knowledge of fly-fishing. Though a much different type of author than Gierach, I think he is equally interesting. I highly recommend "Royal Coachman."
+1 for this book and author. Good read!!

Back