Rod Building Books

littlelehigh

littlelehigh

I'm looking to put together a list of the best all around rod building books covering graphite, glass, and bamboo. Whatever you feel is a must have to build new and repair old.

I am considering building my first overall rod. A bamboo from a premade blank.

Also if anybody has anything they would like to sell please let me know.

George maurer-fundamentals of building a bamboo fly rod. I own about every rod building book and still find mauers book to be my go to source. It's very clear and straight forward.

Grassrod wrote:
George maurer-fundamentals of building a bamboo fly rod. I own about every rod building book and still find mauers book to be my go to source. It's very clear and straight forward.

This is a great book. Cattanach also has a great book on split cane. If you're just building the rod up from a blank I have always referred to L.A. Garcia's book "Handcrafting a Graphite Fly Rod". It is focused on the finishing of a blank. Guides, reel seats, thread wrapping, epoxy. Careful, its a slippery slope.

A great read is "Split and Glued by Vincent Marinaro" by Harms and Whittle. Not solely a rod building book (though it is packed with good info, including Marinaro's taper designs), but it is one of the most detailed and researched books I have read on the life of a rod builder.

Thank you all those books are on my to get list.

If you've got google, you've already got all the info you need.

Back