PA Angler and Boater

jayL

jayL

Anyone get this mag? My dad used to get it for the both of us when I was young and living at home, but he stopped a year or two after the switch from "angler" to "angler and boater".

I'm thinkin about subscribing for myself. How's the mag been over the last few years? Worth the cost?

I enjoy this mag although I don't subscribe to it as I already subscribe to too many fishing mags. My local library has it so I read most issues. It's pretty good and I think getting better than it was 10-15 years ago. There is a short fly tying section and good info on the state's waterways. It does seem to me to be better on warm water fishing than trout. In this months' issue, for example, there is a lot on smallmouth bass. Since I'm a smallie junkie and fish warm water a lot, this is great but I think someone who exclusively fishes for trout with fly gear would likely find this magazine boring and too basic. Many of its articles are clearly geared toward beginners and folks who fish with conventional gear.

I subscribed to PA angler for around 30 years.
IMO it used to be better than it is now.
It used to be strictly fishing until around 10 years or so ago
And had some really good fly fishing writers. Chauncy Lively's tying articles were excellent - I cut many of them out over the years, and still have them stashed in my attic. I also enjoyed Bernie Beegle and Charlie Mecks articles. And our own RRT and RLeeP also wrote nice pieces for them.
The change started when they combined it with the boat magazine, - then a few years later, cut it down from monthly to bi-monthly.
The last couple of years that I subscribed to it, I wasn't reading very much of it - just didn't find most of the stuff in it interesting to me anymore, and I let it expire

Speaking of rrt, he had an article published this month in the American Angler-- congratulations, Rich!

Also, Mark DeFranks was mentioned elsewhere in the same issue in connection with a fly tying article.

Yeah, I just read Rich's article in "American Angler" last night. It deals with winter trout fishing. Good stuff Rich - congrats!

I subscribe to this magazine and it seems like a good overall magazine regarding fishing in PA. It's not terribly costly for an annual subscription (I think something like $12 for six issues) and has some useful information in it.

If you're on the fence about it, it is usually carried in most grocery stores. On your trip through peruse it and see if there's anything of interest. Cover price is only $3 or so if I'm not mistaken.

I'm considering making this and "Fly Fisherman" my two subscriptions of choice.

Read rrt's article today at Barnes and Noble.

Nice- I will think of the atricle next sunny winter day while fishing. Do you know Galen Hall?

Back