Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Online book reading

From Mont Co, Pa
Could someone tell me how to go about reading "The Vanishing Trout" by Charles Lose online? I don't know where to get a reprinted copy, and an original copy is through the roof!

Posted on: 2010/6/20 8:41

Re: Online book reading

I am clueless about how to read it online, but the last I knew, Flyfisher's Paradise near State College had it in stock. I'd advise contacting FFP. It really is an interesting read about the dear departed days of yesteryear in n/c PA.

Posted on: 2010/6/20 9:46

If Flyfishers Paradise doesn't have them, try Slate Run Tackle and Otto Bookstore in Williamsport. But it may be out of print.

If you are just looking to read the book, rather than buy it, just go to the nearest public library, and get it through inter-library loan. Don't hestitate to do this. It's a normal function of the public libraries; they do this all the time.

It's an excellent book. I think you'll really enjoy reading it.

Posted on: 2010/6/20 10:31

From Oxford, Chester Co., PA
I've checked "Internet Archive" for Vanishing Trout and returned no records. Then I checked "Google Books" and got a message that the text of Vanishing Trout is not available online likely because of copyright issues. So it seems a purchase or interlibrary loan are your only options. It is an expensive book but well worth the price. I bought a copy about a year ago and have read it twice in that time. The author's written record of PA trout fishing techniques in the days before spinning tackle are fascinating. One can see that the nineteenth century technique of spinning a minnow lead directly to modern spinning tactics (however gross and disturbing those modern tactics may be - just kidding). Lose's story of the "Sang Hunter" records a way of eastern mountain life which has sadly disappeared. I highly recommend this one.

Posted on: 2010/6/23 10:53

From Clinton County, Pa.
Wildtrout 2 The Jersey Shore Public Library in Jersey Shore Pa. has a copy of "The Vanishing Trout" I don't know how the inter-library loan program works but this information should give you a good start. It is a great book I own a copy of the 1993 reprint. Good luck.

Posted on: 2010/8/8 23:36

Here's how the inter-library loan thing goes:

1) Go to your local library.

2) Tell them you would like to get a book through inter-library loan.

3) Write author and title on a piece of paper.

4) A while later (week or two) they notify you that the book has arrived and you go pick it up.

Cost = free

You may even be able to do this online now through your local library.

Posted on: 2010/8/9 0:06

From Eastern PA
Reading, Lancaster and York county libraries have the feature online now. Indexes and searches other libraries and you can request copy online. Sweet.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 16:07

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com