Need a book for vacation...not much time though

J

joseywales

I am vacationing with extended family as well next week. We all seem to agree that we pretty much don't want to do a damn thing all week! I'm going to fish some flounder with my children, but other than that, just relax and maybe read a bit. I am new to fly fishing. Done it a few times, just getting back into it. My brother is very experienced and well read on the subject with many years under his belt, so I'll ask this question of him as well.

I have read Trout Bum and thoroughly enjoyed it. Even took it to jury duty a week or so ago and enjoyed it a second time. I also have Pocketguide to PA Hatches Merck/Weamer, but that's more of a streamside book (would love to know if they have a paperback for that purpose).

I might tie a bit, but don't really want a book on that just yet. Either an educational book on fly fishing, or other non-fiction.

So any other good reads in fly fishing? I'm considering: "I've never met an idiot on the river..." By Henry Winkler.

Try " Angler Management : The Day I Died While Fly Fishing & Other Stories" by Jack Ohman. Its a fun read and I'll guarantee you'll find a chapter that you'll say, "Yup, thats me."

Anything by John Gierach is going to be entertaining if you're looking for light fly fishing reading. I'd also recommend Vanishing Trout by Lose if you can get a copy, maybe thru library loan. There's a thread a few threads down on this well done book about trout fishing in PA back in the 20s.

A Good Life Wasted by Dave Ames. Light reading an fun.

A 40 page, comic book style writing called: The Curtis Creek Manifesto – By Sheridan Anderson has been recommended. Any thoughts on that?

EDIT: I just grabbed a copy at B&N. I'm not a big fan of comic style, but it has gotten excellent reviews and perhaps most importantly I have a 10 Year Old Daughter who likes to fish. We haven't gotten out nearly as much as we should, but that might be a blessing now. Having little experience in spin-casting, might make teaching her to fly fish that much easier. The kid's got skill though, so it shouldn't be an issue and this book should be perfect.

The Fly Fishingest Gentleman.

A bunch of short stories, so no worries if you don't finish. GREAT read.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0832904031/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Gierach books are good and easy to find. The Vanishing Trout is a great book but is getting harder to find. A Good Life Wasted is a good book (great title!), too, and is still relatively easy to get ahold of. If you have a Barnes and Noble nearby or a good fly shop, you should be able to find one or more of these. Good luck.

"The Fly" by Andrew Herd. This is a very good and entertaining history of FF. Author is Brittish and it is unlikely you will find it in a bookstore in the States, but it was recently published so easy to find on-line.

The book My Story As Told By Water, by Richard James Duncan, author of The River Why, is an excellent book of nonfiction essays, mostly related to angling and conservation.

If you haven't read The River Why, it's a gem of a fishing novel.

Thanks. I picked up the Curtis Creek Manifesto and am heading to the library today to seek out some of the titles you folks have posted.

Heh, the name of the author I recommended is actually David James Duncan.

No worries. I'll find him!

Sex, Death, and Fly fishing by Gierech, it was a great amusing read. Caught myself a couple times laughing out loud while reading.

Back