Magazines?

bigjohn58

bigjohn58

I was just wondering what magazines everyone subscribes to or picks up at the store. I have a short attention span for books and love short articles that magazines offer. I used to love it when I got the Fly Fisherman magazine with my Trout Unlimited membership but now they send the Trout magazine that I think is almost useless. I am going to order Fly Tyer Magazine and I know there are a bunch of others out there. I recently picked up one called Fly Fishing & Tying Journal but it was 99% on western trout fishing. I don't mind a magazine being somewhat on western fly fishing but I want ones that have a good chunk of eastern especially here in the north eastern secton of the USA. What are some of your favorite magazines?

I suscribe to Fly Fisherman. However, the only reason I renew my subsrciption is because every Xmas they offer 2 suscriptions for the price of 1, so me and a fiend always go halves. Lately I have been less than pleased with the publication. Each issue is about 10 pages shorter than they were last year. Plus, each article is 8 pages long and bounce around and don't continue from 1 page to the next. We will see if I renew next Xmas; probably but for the wrong reason.

i subscribe to eastern flyfisherman. most times it doesnt have anything local but it gives alot of ideas to the traveling angler!

Yeah like I'm glad it doesn't give anything local because I don't enjoy seeing my favorite streams having articles written about them and receiving all the publicity but I kind of wanted something at least that maybe covers the hatches or type of fishing we have here in the northe east.

i think your better off getting a book then. like the complete guide to eastern hatches by tom fuller. magazines are pretty much a waste of time in that area.

I have an excelent book on hatches...Hatch Guide for New England Streams by Thomas Ames, Jr. which covers most of the hatches here in PA. Its one of the few books that I've read cover to cover and some of it several times. I also have The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference by Tead Leson and Jim Schollmeyer. I like the book and it is extremely well illistruated. I just wanted to get some magazines that maybe had more up to date stuff or just to get some more ideas. I like 2 or 3 page articles that kind of get straight to the point and don't just drag it out. Yes sometimes there's some things missed but I just have that short of an attention span when it comes to reading. I'd much rather be fishing or tying then sitting with a book in my hand.

salvelinusfontinalis...How well is the Complete Guide to Eastern Hatches by Tom Fuller illistruated? Is it more facts on the hatches or does it actually show the insects at verious stages? I like the facts but pictures help a lot with a hatch book. I might look into that book.

yes it does have pictures. not really of various stages but there are some. the long and short of it i would give the book a 8 out of 10 rating. but i think for what your looking for try www.troutnut.com
there are alot of pictures describing insects in thier various stages. kind of like a magazine....all you have to do is print.

I subscribe to American Angler & Flytyer. I like both publications a lot as the quality of the writing is good and there's always something in every issue that's interesting.
Coughlin

The Drake is my favorite. It only publishes once per year. It is funny as hell. The potography is killer. Here is a link http://drakemag.com

Back