In the Ring of the Rise

T

troutbert

This morning I bought a copy of Ring of the Rise at a local sale. When I got home and opened it up for a closer look, I noticed inside a signature reading Vincent C. Marinaro. A nice surprise!

Nice find.

On the spine of the book does it say "Marivaro"? The one at the Pattee Library has the misprint.

No, his name is spelled correctly on both the spine part of the dust jacket and on the spine of the book itself.

I was just curious. I thought I'd mention the misprint in case you were unaware.

I was unsure if there was a certain run that had the misprint. I would assume there would have to be due to the printing process.

It's a good read. I took advantage of the library's stock of books I'm otherwise too cheap to buy.

Also, on a similar note, Henry Ramsay references this book in his recent book.

BrookieChaser wrote:
I was just curious. I thought I'd mention the misprint in case you were unaware.

I was unsure if there was a certain run that had the misprint. I would assume there would have to be due to the printing process.

Yes, it's interesting. I don't know what the different editions of this book have been, or on which one the spelling error occurred. This is the 1976 edition by Crown Publishers, which I think was the first edition.

I don't know if an error like that makes it more valuable. Coins and stamps with printing errors often go for very high prices.

But with books it probably doesn't work that way at all. Typos are pretty common in books.

That is a cool surprise, congrats. A signed copy, first edition is quite the find. Is it in descent shape?

Typos on the spine, if they are rarer than the non-error editions will be more valuable. But the book itself must be very valuable for the rare versions to take on any real increase of value. Marinaro's book will never be exceptionally valuable, but give it another 30 years and it is bound to be reasonably valuable to collectors.

lv2nymph wrote:
That is a cool surprise, congrats. A signed copy, first edition is quite the find. Is it in descent shape?

The book itself is in very good shape. The dust cover has tears, so it's not in very good shape.

There is a section in the book about the Au Sable River in Michigan. He talks about the "sweepers" which are trees that have fallen in that line the banks of the stream. He says "Everybody agrees that without them there would not be the vast population that occupies the Au Sable."

The book was published in 1976 and the ideas about the importance of the downed trees as trout habitat was apparently something well known and agreed upon by the local guides and fishermen, probably for many years before that.

The first scientific papers on the importance of large woody debris were published in the late 1970s, and the first major paper and book that really caught the attention of many people in the fields of stream ecology, fluvial geomorphology etc. were published in 1979, and then there was a great deal of study on the topic in the 1980s.

But, here's the point, some observant and thoughtful fishermen knew first, before it was ever published in scientific papers! The old time fishermen and guides on the Au Sable had probably observed the crucial role of downed trees as trout habitat many decades before that.

Valuable:

51YWwmW1dBL.jpg

It's nice the book's in such good shape. It's very difficult to find dust jackets without rips in them, nature of the beast I suppose.

The book's value starts underneath the dusk jacket-- unless the jacket is printed. Then it has separate value.

I agree that it is a nice find. I think his discussion of tricos, "The Hidden Hatch," which first appeared in Outdoor Life in the late '60s, is the first article written about that hatch. If you have "In the Ring of the Rise" and "A Modern Dry Fly Code," you have just about everything you need to chase the dry-fly action on limestone streams.

Back