Fly Fishing Magazines

JustFish

JustFish

Does anyone subscribe to a good magazine for fly fishing that's article's aren't advertising hoyty toyty drinking wine and eating cheese streamside $10,000 dollar a week trips? I am looking for something resourceful not articles about places that I have to be filthy rich to visit.

I used to get Flyfisherman, but stopped because of the things you mentioned and how it used to be 80 some pages of decent info, but now is in teh low 70's with the first 25 pages or letters to the editor.

Hatches looks good, and I thought about getting a subscription to that, but it's pretty expensive.

Hatches does look good!

It just annoys me that most of these magazines have what I prev. stated or they only put out a couple or several mags a year. I have to say I think the best one I subscribe to is PA Outdoor News. Same price as Flyfisherman and I get a new issue every two weeks. The only thing is it is hunting and fishing throughout PA. Not soley flyfishing.

I subscribe to and highly recommend American Angler (it's purely a fly-fishing magaxzine) because of its nice variety of features, columns, and photos. I also subscribe to Fly Rod & Reel; it is only a step below AA. I often buy Flyfishing and Tying Journal off magazine racks, and I like it, too, though its slant is more toward Western anglers than us Easterners. I receive Fly Fisherman magazine as a gift subscription, and I agree that it has deteriorated badly over the years, now being mainly a kiss-and-tell journal. It did, however, include a nice feature on the late George Harvey in its last issue; maybe Ross Purnell get get its content straightened out. Fish & Fly is also a destination magazine; I seldom ever pick it off a rack. I agree that PA Outdoor News is probably the best all-around periodical for Pa sportsmen, and the Game News is fine for Pa's hunters. But, if it's fly-fishing you like, I think American Angler is your best bet, followed closely by Fly Rod & Reel. (Sorry so long.)

MidAtlantic Flyfisherman is awfully good. It's free at most flyshops. My only complaint is that it isn't long enough! But it's definately NOT for the guys in the Orvis Lodges who leave the stream at 4pm so as not to miss cocktail hour.

Just my two cents worth: American Angler. I like it for the positive reasons previously stated.

If I see an Eastern Flyfishing magazine and it has an article on a stream in PA with which I'm interested in finding more info, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I don't bother with it for all of the previous reasons for not getting some magazines.

Again, just my two cents.

Geo

Mid-Atlantic Fisherman is good, but is limited on how indepth the info each region gets.

The best part of it is the fact that it's free.

(If you ever need and back issues and the fly shop is all "sold" out, ask me. My good fishing buddy's dad owns it, and I might be able to pull some strings and hook you up with a copy)

I agree with rrt and geo - I subscribe to "American Angler" and it is the best FF mag that I am aware of at this time.

A few weeks ago, I received a great introductory offer from American Angler, and subscribed. 2 years, - 12 issues - for $12.
Glad to hear the good recommendations about it.

I got Pennsylvania Angler for many years, and it was a good magazine, - with no ads or hype. Chauncy Lively used to write and excellent fly tying article every month. But when they combined it with their boating magazine, and cut down to every other month
publication, I let it expire. There just wasn't much in it that interested me anymore

Just-

tomgamber goes or used to go to to Barnes and Noble and peruse the magazines there. I have done this several times in the last few months and found that I can read 2-3 mags in an hour or two.

Its nice because it 30 yards from where I get my oil changed...catch up on the mags every 3 months or 3000 miles...

I enjoy the MidAtlantic Fly Fisherman, also. Its easy to pick up back copies when at the local fly shop. I don't subscribe to any other magazines, other than Trout, from TU. With all the info available on the internet, magazines are not very useful to me anymore.

shultzy501 wrote:
I enjoy the MidAtlantic Fly Fisherman, also. Its easy to pick up back copies when at the local fly shop. I don't subscribe to any other magazines, other than Trout, from TU. With all the info available on the internet, magazines are not very useful to me anymore.

What do you do when your in the bathroom???LOL

tomgamber,

I guess I'll have to find a place to get my oil changed near a book store :lol:

Actually, my bathroom reading rack is full of fly fishing catalogs! Flyfishers Paradise, Cabela's, Orvis, etc. I have them almost memorized!

Yeah I let all my travel guide fly fishing mags expire.In a years subscription I don't think that I learned anything but what lodge to stay at . The only mags I get now are Hatches and fly tyer because I learn things from the mags . Field and stream had more articles on fly fishing techniqes than fly fisherman and eastern fly fishing put together to me thats pretty sad :-?

Frederick,

I was thinking about subscribing to those two? Are they worth it then?

Well I have only recieved one issue of each so far . And I like both of them .Fly tyer seems to lean more towards the purist. In thier summer issue they showed some bass flies and I was dissapointed by the flies they had . All the trout and salmon flies were nice but I only tie to throw not for show . Hatches to me is the best since they do it all they had nice bass and saltwater flies in it and also alot of the fancy art flies . If I had to chose one from what I seen so far from both magazines I would lean towards Hatches for the type of fly fishing I do . All in all you will learn from both magazines there is plenty of how to articles in each :-D

I have enjoyed every fishing magazine I've subscribed to and I think I've subscribed to most over the years. I remember canceling my subscription to Flyfisherman back in the late 80s because it seemed to me to be too western. Back then I also subscribed to a now defunct magazine known as Flyfishing bc it seemed too focused on Alaska. Since then, I have traveled more and discovered saltwater fly fishing and I now subscribe to some saltwater rags. I like Gray's Sporting Journal but it covers general fishing and hunting (Justfish: Gray's is definitely "cheese eating"). I'll second the positive reports on American Angler. Rod and Reel has had some good stuff too. Check some out at your local newstand and see what you like.

Back