« 1 (2)

Re: Fly Fisherman

From Chicago
Interesting post on the fly fishing magazine business:

http://troutunderground.com/2010/02/0 ... ich-of-them-will-survive/

Posted on: 2010/2/2 13:00

From Pittsburgh
I don't mind a mix of destination articles, if they are reasonable. But I'm probably not heading to South America any time soon (any of you headed to Bolivia?). There were two pieces about fly fishing South America in the latest Fly Fisherman Mag. Give me something I can use.

I guess I'm not in the demographic they're targeting.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 14:47

Webmaster
Mungerfish,

Nice Pick! Tom Chandler at Troutundergound has some really great articles and this one really certainly is a good read "Fly Fishing’s Magazines Are Feeling the Affects of Recession and Online Competition. Which of Them Will Survive?"

Dave

Posted on: 2010/2/2 18:22

From Gettysburg
Quote:

dkile wrote:
Mungerfish,

Nice Pick! Tom Chandler at Troutundergound has some really great articles and this one really certainly is a good read "Fly Fishing’s Magazines Are Feeling the Affects of Recession and Online Competition. Which of Them Will Survive?"

Dave

Dave,
I agree - good read if you're interested in the FF media world; the relevancy and change seen in print magazines in recent years; competition from the web; and potential role of Twitter and similar social media to integrate into the FF media orbit.
Thanks Mungerfish.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 20:27

From South Central PA
Regular guys blogging or posting in forums such as this provide information that is more relevant, timely, nearly as polished, sometimes more polished, and honest (as in not beholden to advertisers) than most of what the magazines put out. And, magazines are irksome in that they always seem to throw the free lance jobs to the same people who rehash what everybody already knows. And by default magazines are stale, since a magazine needs 6 months or so lead time for publication.

No contest really, especially in a dynamic sport like fishing.

I am more concerned about the insufficient monetizing for the online content than I am about the magazines. Maybe after a couple of big magazines go under there will be more ad dollars to go around.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 11:56

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

DGC wrote:
Regular guys blogging or posting in forums such as this provide information that is more relevant, timely, nearly as polished, sometimes more polished, and honest (as in not beholden to advertisers) than most of what the magazines put out.

Yeah, but I am against taking some of you guys in the can with me...

Posted on: 2010/2/3 13:23

From NW PA
I've been very dissapointed in FF for the last year or so. I go back and read some of our old FF from the mid 90's and notice a lot less color photographs, but a lot more useful information. I've been buying a few different mags lately trying to find one that I really like. "Fly Fusion" seemed pretty cool, and "Fly Fish Journal" is refreshing, albeit more about philosophy than fishing facts. I'm not really sure what FF mags I want to subscribe to in the future, if any of them.

Posted on: 2010/2/8 12:30

From Lewistown
I got soething in the mail from them Sat. Buy a subscription for $20 and get another magazine for free.

Must be getting desperate.

Posted on: 2010/2/8 13:31

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
31 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com