Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Fly books for kindle

From Delaware Co.
Anyone buying any fly fishing books for their kindle's i'm curious how the quality and selection is ?

Posted on: 2012/2/14 19:29

Re: Fly books for kindle

From Harrisburg
I was wondering that too.

Posted on: 2012/2/14 19:48

From Clearfield
i have a nook.....pretty much all of geirichs books are available if you look online you can see whats available as an e book then search it on your kindle. A lot of orvis' books are available too but its only text with no pictures.

Even though I have a nook and use it often I still enjoy owning the book, especially guide books or coffee table books or anything with illustrations.

Posted on: 2012/2/14 20:23

I had never thought to look for fly fishing books on the kindle ... if you put fly fishing in the kindle search field, there are over 300 connected books... Many on tying, knots, travel, overall ff guidebooks but some novels and autobiographies, etc.. also some cheap digital only ones, including one on small streams... Hmmmmm...

Posted on: 2012/2/14 20:25

From North East PA
I have the Orvis Fly Fishing Guide and the Fly Fisher's Playbook on my Kindle(s)

I own both the regular Kindle and the Kindle Fire.

For text and bookmarking, the Kindles are great. The illustrations in the Orvis book are another story. They are imbedded in the book but you cannot enlarge them in the same manner you can other images on the Fire. Not sure about enlargement on the standard Kindle.

I was doubtful about e readers at first but I own a Nook, the standard Kindle and the Kindle Fire. For just reading, the Nook and Kindle each have their own advantages with the edge going to the Kindle.
For an all purpose device, I like the Fire. Note that it is significantly heavier than the standard Kindle and has much shorter battery life.

Hope this helps

Dave

Posted on: 2012/2/14 20:41

From LV
I've got a nook and I have found books, there's a bunch of Geirlach's books available. Some of the more famous fly fishing books, but I didn't count the number. Above all that there's a large body of historic fishing and fly fishing books available for free, which is always a good thing. As I said in another thread I recently read a book about fishing in Scotland, which included fishing the Tweed River. It was free. Also very good. Andrew Lang in his day was a very famous Scottish writer, editor, printer, and historian. He also wrote a book about the Royal Stuarts, which I haven't read, but I have. It is a technology that is just coming into its own.
There are no books about FFing in PA available.

Posted on: 2012/2/14 22:13

I know departure pub is moving books over

The Alaska chronicles by miles nolte should be out know

Posted on: 2012/2/14 22:18

I think a lot depends on what you are looking for. The classics, not so much. Newer non-fiction is becoming more widely available.

I've been having some fun reading fictional novels based around fly fishing. "Pale Morning Done" by Jeff Hull was pretty entertaining, as was "Holding Lies" by John Larison. I haven't gotten around to reading "The Royal Wulff Murders" by Keith McCafferty, but its on the list.

I love the traditional literature, but this fictional stuff is a nice diversion every once in a while.

Posted on: 2012/2/14 22:37

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
I have Yellowstone's Backcountry Cutthroats for Kindle from Amazon on my Windows phone.

Posted on: 2012/2/15 0:21

If you put trout, brook trout, trout streams, pennsylvania trout, etc in the kindle store, there are some relevant books. You will not be able to find every book that exists in paper on fly fishing, but there are some interesting titles and also some digital only books that don't exist in paper. the books maybe cheaper on kindle but of course you may miss great color pictures.

Posted on: 2012/2/15 5:57

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Interesting book titles come up if you search for "nymph"...

Posted on: 2012/2/15 6:59

From Enola, PA
i just search for "fly tying" or "fly fishing"

I use the Kindle App on my iPad. Have the Nook app as well and iBooks. I think Amazon has a much better selection of fly fishing books than either B&N or Apple.

Most of the books I have read so far have been literary such as Geirach, Miles Nolte and Gallgian. Currently I am reading Barry Reynolds first pike book. I have downloaded samples of many many books including several tying books including Clouser's Flies and Charlie's Fly Box.

My favorite aspect is that I can have all this information with me at all times without lugging hundreds of pounds of books.

For fly tying books i think you would want one of the color Kindles at the very minimum.

Posted on: 2012/2/15 7:24

uhh...nevermind

I agree on the "color would be better" point. I bought the first black and white kindle right when it came out, and have enjoyed it for a few years, but if i were jumping now w/ an interest in fishing books I would get a color kindle fire

Posted on: 2012/2/15 8:50

From SE PA - Montgomery County
I have a Kindle Fire, but I have not bought any books on there that were more than just novels.

If I wanted to read or reference a book with heavy graphics and images I would lean towards just buying a hardcopy.

The Kindle Fire has a color display, but the way it formats the pages to fit the screen might be a pain the a$$ if you to look at larger books that are heavy with images.

Does anyone know if there is a way to share books between users?

Posted on: 2012/2/15 12:38

From Enola, PA
Books can be loaned once for 14 days, not all books are lend-able.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custome ... ?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200549320

Posted on: 2012/2/15 13:46

uhh...nevermind

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com