Finback Films in Kickstarter

Foxgap239

Foxgap239

Okay, I've read our home page twice now and I honestly can't figure out what it's asking for. I know the guy tried to explain and probably did a good job but I'm lost. Can someone explain exactly what they are asking for?

Looks to me like some guys have a film relating to fly fishing. They've showed it, or at least parts of it, at some film festivals. They now have it finished, and want to release it to a larger audience, but need money to do so.

Kickstarter is a conditional "pre-buy" program. You give them a credit card number. Kickstarter keeps track of how much they've sold. Once they hit what they need, your card gets charged, DVD's get made, and you get one. If they don't hit their goal, the credit cards aren't charged.

They're asking us to buy the film on Kickstarter. No danger of paying for nothing. Buy, and either a DVD will come in the mail, or else your money will be refunded.

As I understand it they're asking you to make an investment in the production and distribution of the film - not just buy a copy when it's out. They have fees to pay for songs used on the soundtrack and other production and distribution expenses. Until they're met, the film can't be distributed. My understanding of Kickstarter is that you are helping to fund an enterprise with some payback down the road.

After further review - you're basically reserving a copy or copies of the film but they can only distribute the film copies if they raise the $15,000+ they're looking for. If that doesn't happen in the specified timeframe, the film doesn't get distributed and you obviously aren't able to buy it.

There in lies my confusion. Am I investing in the film or just buying a copy if they reach their goal? Let's say I donate $100, did I just buy an expensive copy of the film or did I invest $100 with the chance of making money on that investment? That is what I'm trying to determine. Thanks

Foxgap239 wrote:
Okay, I've read our home page twice now and I honestly can't figure out what it's asking for. I know the guy tried to explain and probably did a good job but I'm lost. Can someone explain exactly what they are asking for?

"If our target goal is reached by the end of the 30 day campaign, your card will be charged and your reward will be shipped."

But it doesn't say what your "reward" would be.

And he doesn't say how much of a contribution he's looking for.

So, to sum it up, he's asking you for money, but does not say how much he's asking for, OR what you would receive in return.

I hope this helps. :)

troutbert wrote:

So, to sum it up, he's asking you for money, but does not say how much he's asking for, OR what you would receive in return.

I hope this helps. :)

Yep, clear as mud now! Thanks Dwight. LOL

On the website:

$15 and up, you get a poster
$25 and up, you get a t-shirt
$30 and up, you get the DVD
$45 and up, DVD plus poster
$55 and up, DVD plus t-shirt
$75 and up, DVD + t-shirt + poster
$100 and up, all 3 plus your name in the credits
$350 and up, all of the above + a signed photograph
$1000 and up, all of the above + guided trip for 2 in Colorado.
$5000 and up, all of the above + name in the executive producer credit
$10000 and up, all of the above + a sea dart, the wooden kayak used in the film.

So $30 is essentially buying the film. That's fair. Or you can go crazy and give them tons of money as a donation with some perks.

By the way, it looks like they already reached their goal.

Thanks Pat. Now that does help. I'm tempted on the $10K but then I think of how many trips I could take with that same $10K.

Ok, you are investing in the production costs of the film, but you will not realize any return on that investment besides the "reward" that is layed out in the chart, corresponding to the investment you make. Think of it more like a donation than an investment.

I was thinking about kicking in some money, and have it marked on my calendar to check the page before it expires. There are less worth-while causes I have donated money to. I like some of the FF movies I've seen, and from the trailer, it looks pretty well done. Just don't expect anything more than an expensive copy of the DVD and the good karma you get from helping them produce it.

What good Karma? I say for a grand or more, you ought to get a percentage of total sales: a royalty, if you will, and an interest in the company that is soliciting your investment. Isn't this the American way?

They get "investors" to fund the initial production costs, then haul in profits once all the investors get their trinkets. I wouldn't invest more than the value of the DVD you may or may not receive.

Its an easy concept. I want to pay for a guided trip this year on vacation. That will cost me $500.

I will ask each of you for a donation.

For a dollar given, if I make my $500, you will each read a long winded trip report with a step-by-step diagram of how I entered the stream, fished for each fish, and what I had for lunch.

If you step up and gimme $10, I will specifically name check you in the post. "You will find that if you gingerly place first your left foot, then your right foot, into the stream you will be well rewarded with a stealthy entrance. Once, when fishing with JackM, I watched him fall in, that was not stealthy."

If you step up and gimme $100, then I will take a picture of a fish and send a copy to you. I will inevitably sign it, "so long and thanks for all the fish." This is how I roll.

If you pony up a full $500, you can go with me.

If I can't convince enough of you slobs to pony up a collection of $500, I don't get my trip and none of you are charged.

You get nothing special other than what you're promised, besides the smarmy feeling of "I helped 'make' that by throwing money at it." Its a hip way for kids with no actual creative abilities to give money to their favourite musicians, et al, and pretend like they're a part of the process rather than a consumer.

The memory of you screaming in the back seat over Dopesmoker, while Turkey just kept repeating, "this isn't happening" and I'm hearing God's voice as we drive into the parking lot is not one I'll ever forget.

Gfen,
Please elaborate this sounds like a great story to be madeinto a movie ala the hangover

Experiences cannot be transcribed, they must be lived.

alas they can be translated or conveyed

gfen wrote:

The memory of you screaming in the back seat over Dopesmoker, while Turkey just kept repeating, "this isn't happening" and I'm hearing God's voice as we drive into the parking lot is not one I'll ever forget.

Followed by a "You touched him, Tony, now you guys have to keep him." ;-)

Boyer

I resent that my affability was so universally rejected.

gfen wrote:

Experiences cannot be transcribed, they must be lived.

Oh really. What about this?

You will take cash to write down that experience, but not the one about Jack's plunge. Some of us would actually pay to hear or read that one.

the potential to create a regular series, "fishing with jack," exists. my kickstarter goals are:

$11,500 for music liscening. i'm pretty sure i can get hawkwind for cheap, but all that dylan crap is gonna cost us.

$1,150 for dvd authouring.

$1000 for the 5.1 mix, because when that part of Can's Halleluwah starts to swirl, you're really gonna wanna immerse.

$250 dvd graphic design, have you seen FI's prices lately?

$1600 itunes prep and submission, goddamned apple tax.

that's $15,500. plus i'm gonna need an evan williams fund, figure that's another $8k.

Back