editions of the landis "trout streams of PA" book

k-bob

k-bob

I have an older edition of this book, how much addl info is in the newer one? thanks

Which edition? There are three.

Only a little. Use your money to buy Paul Schullery's "If Fish Could Scream." Along with Gierach, Schullery is today's best ff writer, and he isn't afraid to tackle anything.

Thanks! Glad someone asked...I have been unsuccessfully looking for the newest edition for a while and finally just ordered an older one from Barnes & Noble. Nice to know I won't be missing too much.

thans for the replies I have the second edition. the thrd edition is hard to find. sounds like for NE PA, where I usually go, the 3rd edition does not add too much over the second... But for NC PA, the third has more additions, so i'll keep an eye out...

k bob
I have editions 1&2
I was going to buy the 3rd edition but Dwight Landis told me not to bother, there wasn't enough changes in the new one to warrant
buying it
just my 2c

Who knows, maybe Mr. Landis will respond to you in person...he's on here quite frequently...
I met him at the Cabin Fever show in Pgh last year and bought his book. Nice gentleman and a wealth of knowledge about PA streams!

I have the third edition and love it! Very informitive book for the traveling fisherman. I'd feel naked without it. I'd be like not having topos or the Gazetteer for reference.

Maybe Dwight can tell me where to get the new book. I had an autographed copy of the first edition that got lost.

Salmo

The third edition is out of print and is hard to find. I don't know of any stores that have copies. There are some sellers on Amazon asking absurd prices, around $98-$200. They are looking for suckers, so don't spend that kind of money.

There are first and second editions available on Amazon for reasonable prices. Each edition has some updates and additions, but I think you will still find the earlier editions useful for exploring PA streams . Pine Creek in the canyon is still Pine Creek in the canyon. In other words, some things have changed regarding our streams, but many things have not.

You can also get the book from your local library. If they do not have the book, you can get it through inter-library loan.

I hope to come out with a 4th edition at some point. But when (and if) that will happen, I do not know, and I will not speculate on that.

If anyone has suggestions about ways to improve the book, corrections, additions, changes in design, format, improving user-friendliness etc. for the book in a future edition, please send me a PM.

Dwight, it seems a 3rd edition of your book has the celebrity of a pre 2010 edition of the Gazetteer. ;-) Good stuff!

I was able to get 2nd edition from Alibris for about $20 shipped.

Received my second edition Friday in the mail. Over all it is well written, I was hoping(in my dreams) that there might be a bit more info on Northern Dauphin County - Armstrong and Wiconisco Creek, maybe a bit on Mahantongo and Pine creek- Schuylkill Dauphin county lines. I look forward to fishing in some of the spots in the book. Thanks for your efoorts Dwight!

Don't know about you but the last few days I have begun top pour over "Trout Streams of Pennsylvania", the gazetteer, meck and Wolf.

I would have hit up Armstrong's TU book but it is out on loan.

Getting the streams I want to fish firmly entrenched in my fly flying receptors in my brain. (The choices are limited only by imagination and time really)

I have at least 10 streams and probably more I want to fish immediately.

Hey, heard birds chirping this morning- I am readying myself.

Paul, I can't believe you've been back in PA this long and I haven't seen you. Your Armstrong Guide to PA Limestone Streams is still safe. We'll have to get out and fish if the darn snow would ever stop.

I have a third edition of Landis. Let the bidding begin!
:-D :-D :-D

Very good- yes, fly fishing.

What a novel idea.

rrt,

Only a little. Use your money to buy Paul Schullery's "If Fish Could Scream." Along with Gierach, Schullery is today's best ff writer, and he isn't afraid to tackle anything.

if the Schullery is distinguished [color=000066](read: mentally separated)[/color] as Gierach I'm logging to my PayPal account to get some
;-)

Schullery's interests in fly-fishing are varied. His "American Fly Fishing" is a wonderful history of just what its title reflects. He wrote a "cutesy" book, "Shupton's Fancy" about a fictional perfect fly. "If Fish Could Scream" examines situations dealing with today's fly-fishing scene.
His style is not like Gierach's, but Schullery is indeed readable, and I highly recommend his stuff. I think he is a wonderful writer about our favorite pastime.

No doubt. Paul Schullery is top notch.

Thank you, I will start with:
The Rise: Streamside Observations on Trout, Flies And Fly Fishing

Back