Eastern Fly Fishing Magazine's Northeast Edition

wildtrout2

wildtrout2

I just got a notice in the mail from Eastern Fly Fishing Magazine. If you send the card back to them (postage paid) you get a free copy of the Northeast edition of their magazine. I'm curious how many out there get this magazine, and how they like it? The Northeast edition sounds like it might be just what I'm looking for!

+ 1 on WT's post. I got the same card and thought it looked interesting but would love to hear from someone that subscribes.

I'm a subscriber and enjoy the magazine for the most part. To be honest, I'm a bit weary of "how to" articles, or articles about exotic fishing destinations I'll never visit. This magazine covers rather nicely fishing destinations closer to home.

Disclaimer: if you're an anti-spot burning crusader....don't subscribe to this magazine as you'll cringe at much of the content and your hair will get grayer with each issue.

Got it also. Just sent it back.....to Escondido, California. LOL. Eastern Fly Fishing?????

Got the same card.

englishprof wrote:
Got it also. Just sent it back.....to Escondido, California. LOL. Eastern Fly Fishing?????
Yes, I'm also curious how "Eastern" this magaine really is!

It is "eastern". My dad gets it. It's been helpful for fishing everything from the Lehigh to the St John's down in Jacksonville.

I have subscribed for several years and enjoy the magazine.

It truly is "Eastern" in fact they just made the switch to split the Eastern magazine into the "Northeast" and "Southeast" Editions.

There is also a Midwestern and I think Northwestern magazine.

Another nice thing, if you subscribe, you can go to the website and read back issues and I think possibly the other geographical issues (but i could be wrong)

Who reads GRAY'S SPORTING JOURNAL MAGAZINE?
Have you find it of the value?

I am looking for the Nov/Dec issue of Eastern fly fishing. Anybody willing to let me borrow it or make a copy of the article on the Lehigh?

I got the eastern version a while back, then cancelled my subscription. It was a decent mag. I'm just not that into magazines, I guess.

The only one I read on a semi-regular basis is PA angler. And even that I don't subscribe to, but manage to pick one up now and again. I'm especially into really old ones. My dad gave me a stack from WAY back, and that was really neat to read.

skybay wrote:
Who reads GRAY'S SPORTING JOURNAL MAGAZINE?
Have you find it of the value?

I've subscribed to GSJ for years (I've also spent more time than I should have trying to get an article published in it -just too hard, finally gave up). In any event, my interest in GSJ mainly flows from its association with the sporting art scene and I've been lucky to have had some art featured (and sold) in the magazine in the past. It deals with all types of hunting and fishing although the material leans heavily toward fly fishing and upland bird hunting. The magazine has always prided itself on high quality articles with strong literary aspects and excellent photography. It does seem to me that in recent years the magazine has steadily leaned toward more photographic content at the expense of good writing. Flip through a few pages of GSJ and it's immediately obvious that it's geared to the upper crust types - the bread and butter advertisements are for double guns costing far more than I could ever afford. Nevertheless, I still like GSJ. It's a bit on the pricy side so I'd recommend you buy a couple issues off the rack before shelling out for a subscription.

Just got a free issue of Eastern FF in the mail today, and F/Idiot is correct. Without going into one of my anti-k/t diatribes, I must tell you I hate what I saw. As F/I said, it will not just turn my hair grayer; it will make what's left fall out. Plus, it is edited by a guy from the state of Washington who probably doesn't really doesn't know or care much about things in the East.

I subscribe to Eastern FF and look forward to each issue. This past issue was the first of their regional editions. They've had some nice write ups of some PA streams in the past, and they aren't always the famous stretches you find in every other mag. I don't know that they've ever presented a stream that wasn't in most guide books out there, though, so I'm not really sure I'm on board with the spot- burning outrage.

klingy wrote:
I don't know that they've ever presented a stream that wasn't in most guide books out there, though, so I'm not really sure I'm on board with the spot- burning outrage.

+1...Take this latest issue for instance...Conewago Creek, the one in Adams County, was featured. It's a decent stockie stream I guess, and a good WW fishery downstream, but it's not the type of stream most guys would complain about being "outed" IMO.

I enjoy it for what it is...good pictures, some decent gear stuff, and I like reading the stream breakdowns - most (or all?) of which I'll probably never fish. A lot of the stream breakdowns seem to be little more than advertisements for the local guides they feature in the article, but they're fun to read anyway. It has a place with my FF/Cabelas/BPS catelogs and Consumer Reports in my...office.

I subscribed late last year - and have gotten 2 issues. Like it so far - interesting articles - nice that it's all 'local'. good variety of fresh & salwater in the NE... some nice photography

Something that I would like to mention about this magazine is that you can go to the website and down load a pdf of all 3 regions each issue now under your subscription service/account section. You can also download pdf files of past issues back to 2009 I think for $3.95 if you are new to the magazine. You can also order paper copies prior to 2009. There are some good ones from the past on PA streams. Once you have them in your account they are always supposed to be there for future download.
This is very usefull to me to keep these on the laptop or iPad and I'll always have them when I'm traveling.
http://www.matchthehatch.com/

Eastern fly fishing and fly tyer are the only 2 mags I get anymore..Used to get them all.

Back