Dynamic Nymphing By George Daniel

Foxgap239

Foxgap239

Got this book in the mail Thursday. Have just read the first few chapters but so far I like it. George really has his own ideas on leader design. Also the first time I ever heard of a tippet ring. I do think I'm going to give some of ideas a go. I saw last year at the Penn's Creek TU banquet. Pretty good speaker.

Fox, he will be giving a presentation for the Western Pocono Tu on Memorial day. This will include an on stream presentation of his tactics. My book will be arriving Monday and look forward to the read.

Thanks. I think I might have to attend that presentation.

Been pouring over my copy too. Very in-depth, lots of technical info, including casting instruction for different situations/rigs. Some fly patterns, and a neat multipage spread of George's fly box. This is not just a look at "Euro"style either, plenty of space devoted to high stick tactics developed right here in PA. So far I am really immpressed. This might be one of the better fly books I have read.

FG - I think Feather Craft Carries the ripper ring. I have never been able to bring myself to try it. I think it is a standard on furled leader systems. Not sure on that though.

Received my copy for Christmas. Great read, packed with tons of information. IMO one of the best flyfishing books to come along in a while.

Im a big fan of the tippet rings but they are expensive. Anyone know a different source for these besides Feather-craft?

Awesome book. I got through half of it already in a couple days. I've been a big fan of the tippet ring for a while now.

The more I read the more I want to try his ideas. I'll be getting some Stren and rings in the near future.

I just received my copy today and look forward to getting started. Glad to hear you guys are enjoying it.

Dave

fox- no joke! i went to walmart and got the stren. been tying perfection loops like a mofo.

awesome book so far! can't wait till he comes to our TU meeting in jan

Just ordered this book. Cant wait to get it!

I have'nt bought a book on flyfishing for a while but next time I get up to Spring Creek fishing maybe I'll run buy TCO and see if George will autograph a copy for me.

George also has a article in flyfishman mag. about nymphing skinny water. It is very informative.

I just got my copy of George's book. Looks awesome!

It;s a good book - great photos. One problem I have with many of these books recently is: they pretty much all just take ideas that have been beat into the ground and change wording. Come on - "suspension device"... hasn't it just always been an indicator?? Kudos though to guys like him - they make it work and make a buck -that's really what it is all about. I think him and others would sell their favorite fishing spot for a price....

Got it a week ago with no expectations. It's a visually appealing book with many good pictures. Content is good, but there isn't much new to me in it. I think it would be good for someone that's a little newer to fishing, or has spent less time trying new nymphing techniques. Probably the last "how to" book I buy in a long time. A few years ago, it would've been a godsend to me, as I am sure it is to many others.

Got the book this week and have been thoroughly impressed with it. I think there is something for everyone and it completely encapsulates nymphing to a certain degree. If anything the leader formulas and fly/fly box pictures were worth the money. It is a book that I will refer to all of the time.

streamer-stripper wrote:
It;s a good book - great photos. One problem I have with many of these books recently is: they pretty much all just take ideas that have been beat into the ground and change wording. Come on - "suspension device"... hasn't it just always been an indicator?? Kudos though to guys like him - they make it work and make a buck -that's really what it is all about. I think him and others would sell their favorite fishing spot for a price....

I took a different take on it. I agree it is an indicator but unless I'm missing his point, I believe he is just trying to separate the tight lining indicator which I think he calls a "sighter" from the floating indicator which to his purpose acts to suspends the fly at a certain depth. I have been nymphing fo years and most of this is nothing new but I think he approaches from a different angle. I certainly learned something.

I just finished the Daniel book. I use some similar methods a lot of the time when I'm fishing nymphs, but he is certainly more thorough than I am. I think I could and should (but probably won't, since I'm pretty stuck in my ways) re-read this often and would glean much valuable information. I think this is a fine book, though like Jay L., I am not planning to buy many more how-to manuals. Even so, I think this is a good book with a lot of good info. The photography is also splendid.
[Of interest (well, to me anyhow) is that I worked on a couple of stream improvement projects when George D. was working summers with the PFBC. He was a good worker and was most certainly an unpretentious young man. He good-naturedly took some what I thought was kind of nasty teasing about his status on the ff team, too. I think he is a good rep for fly-fishing. I do wish he were working out of another fly shop, though, perhaps Flyfisher's, which TCO's move to within a half-mile of in State College seemed like a dirty move to me. Anyhow, I think GD is one of the good "young lions" in today's ff scene.]
To repeat: a good book.

Met him today at our TU meeting and he was certainly one of the most approachable people I have met in FFing.

that said, I haven't finished the book, but after seeing his presentation and comparing it to my interpretation from the book I was glad to see that the book was pretty much straight forward about the techniques...or at least the ones I have read about so far.

It is interesting to note how little of a hesitation will trigger George to set. its very little, and depending on the situation the slightest hesitation in the line signals the set.

he stressed good positioning on the stream and really making sure the nymphs are getting into the "right" current and at the "right" level of the water column.

he also went over when long distance casts are appropriate and I was surprise to see the conditions in which he was executing this tactic.

all in all, this style of fishing appears to be very systematic and surgical. you can easily see that it has been developed from a competitive origin.

my 2cents:

when you hear about this technique you may be tempted to believe that it is revolutionary, or that it is necessary to learn or any of the other crazy thoughts that run through our minds when we see a "new" product or fly or tactic. Rest assured that this is not a "game changer," Fly fishing....fishing period, will always be about what you make it.

a friend of mine once said that "all fishermen evolve, some further than others..." he went on to say that most fishermen start out wanting only to catch a fish (just a singular fish!), then they want to catch more fish, then bigger fish, then they want to catch the MOST fish, then the BIGGEST fish and finally, some people, after they have "done it all" they want to teach others and see the joy on someone else's face when they catch A fish. "And now you know...the rest of the story"-P.H.

rrt wrote:
I do wish he were working out of another fly shop, though, perhaps Flyfisher's, which TCO's move to within a half-mile of in State College seemed like a dirty move to me.

really? going to start that nonsense?

I am looking forward to reading Georges book. It's great to see the quality of both the writing and the content really moving forward in fly fishing books.

Back