Brook Trout Video

PSUFishMenace

PSUFishMenace

As has been the case most of this fall, I've been busy lately, but found time this week to put together a video. I took the best clips I have from the past three years, organized them by stream, and did some basic editing. No music, music in a fishing video either ruins it or makes it depending on your taste, and that's not the point. This video isn't flashy and doesn't even tell a story, really. It's just a bunch of clips of me doing what I love most- poking around some really tiny streams and finding a few surprises.

I posted a video in the past, and was blasted for my handling of the fish in the video (even though the fish was absolutely fine). If you are concerned about anything you see here, that's fine, just be respectful! Purists beware, there are two spin fishing scenes in here.

Here's the video (youtube link). Watch in HD if your computer can handle it. It is 8 minutes long, I'll forgive you if you can't sit through the whole thing ;-)

For you guys who were checking out the thread about finding brookie streams, this should provide some motivation! All 7 of the streams in this video are within 15 minutes of my house, and only one is on the natural reproduction list. They're out there! Maybe you can pick up on some strategies as well (although my bow-and-arrow casting is pretty awful in a couple places).

Watched it all. Nice job. I think you were right to leave music off. Would have been different if we had to listen to heavy breathing or narration. I liked hearing the whispers of the creeks and the birds in the trees.

nice. good looking water, surroundings, and fish! only the beginning of winter and it was nice seeing green in that video! come on spring!

Great vid PSU! One of the best of its kind I have ever seen on Youtube, and a great example of what this kind of fishing is.

Dude, when your rod bent over on that fish at 2:55...what a great feeling that is. Your heartrate went from pretty much nothing to like 120 bpm I bet...mine did just watching it. I actually felt nervous with you, hoping you'd land it!

Very well done, both from a fishing and filming perspective. You might be cruisin' for a bruisin' for the spinners :cool:, but thanks for sharing and risking the BS. I could have easily done another 8 minutes of that ;-), I enjoyed it.

Swattie said it. Leave the spinners at home if your fishin for those native/wild brookies. Other then that cool video.

Phish_On wrote:
Swattie said it. Leave the spinners at home if your fishin for those native/wild brookies.

I was joking Phish, in reference to a recent thread of mine where I was fishing with spinners.

Oh I know. To each there own. Personally I won't be caught dead with a spin rod in my hand. Flyfish everything!

Nice video

PSU,
Very nicely done. That is certainly a type of fishing that is near and dear to my heart. The tons of opportunities that we have to explore and discover new (to us) native brookie streams is the part I think I enjoy the most. Thanks so much for sharing your video with us. I enjoyed every minute of it. I'm looking forward to some of that wintertime native brookie fishing where the falls into those plunge pools turn into beautiful ice sculptures. Thanks again PSU, keep up the good work!

PSU, thanks for sharing your video, it was well done and music would have ruined it. Some of those brookies were very nice for small streams.

Very nice video, thanks for sharing. Makes for a great brake from studying.

Cool video! I enjoyed every minute of it.

Nice video PSU.. As a born and bred fly fisherman in Chester County most of my life it was great to see what is still alive in those little cricks.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Nice to post this and come back hours later to see that I don't have any stones to dodge!

I've tried to make videos that try to tell a story, but always find I never have enough footage. I could, but most days I really don't feel like putting the rod down to set up a camera!

Swattie87 wrote:

Dude, when your rod bent over on that fish at 2:55...what a great feeling that is. Your heartrate went from pretty much nothing to like 120 bpm I bet...mine did just watching it. I actually felt nervous with you, hoping you'd land it!

You bet right. That was the first time I fished that hole too. Funny story about that clip. I edited out the part where I tried to lift it up to me and (predictably) the hook popped out and the fish dropped back in the water. Went back to that spot six months later and got revenge on that fish, it was 10.5-11". The pic shown after that video clip is from the second time.

Phish_On wrote:

Swattie said it. Leave the spinners at home if your fishin for those native/wild brookies. Other then that cool video.

I've come to agree with this, for brookies in really small streams anyway. In 2010 though, I still used the ultralite spinning tackle any time I checked out a new stream, my fly fishing skills were not good enough to use the fly rod as a survey tool at the time.

dc410 wrote:

I'm looking forward to some of that wintertime native brookie fishing where the falls into those plunge pools turn into beautiful ice sculptures.

I forgot about this part of winter fishing! Gotta stop fishin' those flat limestoners in winter!

AndyP wrote:

As a born and bred fly fisherman in Chester County most of my life it was great to see what is still alive in those little cricks.

I can hardly believe these trout exist where they do. Well kept secrets for sure and some streams have handled all the development in the area really well.

Well done, just a good job behind the camera and rod. Thanks for sharing.

Nice video PSU. Nice talent fishing and recording at the same time!

Nice clips, sweet little wholes with something in it. Pure, realistic , with spontaneous pleasing balance.
We like it; and if you did not lay a soft audio track there I respect your choices.
You are lucky to have such pretty water around you and a skill to capture those events.

I grew up fishing brookie streams. I feel like grabbing my rod and fishing one right now. Nice video and a good job.

Back