Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Books-pa stream guide

From Pittsburgh
I should also add that Mr Armstrong did consult with other fisherman for information on some of the streams he listed.

All in all, I did think the book was quite interesting. He fished many streams that were so small and obscure, that I would have never even thought of trying to fish them

Posted on: 2013/2/1 23:40

From New Castle, PA
Landis by a mile.

The meck and Wolf books are similiar IMO, and neither come close to what Dwight was able to put together. Meck's book really gets bogged down by repetitive, poorly written fishing stories. Also, ome of the maps are incorrect. Wolf's book suffers from similiar problems. Also, both try to talk as experts on every stream they describe when it is evident they aren't.

On the other hand, Landis's Trout Streams of Pennsylvania really delivers when it comes to finding the info you need to actually get to a stream and fish it. Good maps, plenty of stream descriptions for all parts of the state, practical hatch information, and no bull. It is everything the other two books aren't.

Kev

P.s. A delorme PA atlas and gazetteer is also incredibly useful. paired with a copy of TSofPA, you will be busy for years exploring new places.

Posted on: 2013/2/2 0:46

I agree with pennkev, and we are fortunate to have the books given all the stream miles in PA. I believe that the pfbc site says that only streams that make up about a third of the stream miles have been surveyed.

Posted on: 2013/2/2 6:28

From Mont Co, Pa
Absolutely, that Pa Atlas & Gazetteer is worth it's weight in gold! I don't go to a new stream/area without it The older (early 2000's) additions are best.

Posted on: 2013/2/2 9:47

From Ferguson Twp.
+1
Don't leave home without it. The A&G is something that just stays in the truck year round.

Posted on: 2013/2/2 10:26

From Pittsburgh
Yeah - the PA Delorme has guided me to countless WT streams. And it is the one book that goes with me on practically every fishing trip.
But they do tend to get rather beat up - and I've gone through at least 3-4 of them since they first came out.

And they really did dumb it down for the latest editions.
Fortunately, I came across a brand new 2003 edition at a local fly shop not long ago.
And shortly after that, I came cross a 1987 edition - with the yellow cover - in an antique store. It was like new, and I got it for $5.
So, I have a stash of the older versions - that will last me, hopefully, for the rest of my life

Posted on: 2013/2/2 10:49

From Clarion co.
I've read them both and they are both great books. Landis's book was more detailed and Wolfe went the extra mile and included warmwater. Dwight if you read this we need an updated version! I would love another great Pennsylvania trout stream book.

Posted on: 2013/2/2 17:42

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com