Books for Christmas

Acristickid

Acristickid

Guess this may have been covered in another thread but I figured I still give it a go.

Anyone have any books on there Christmas list? I really dont have any on my list this year but my one brother is good about buying me books- so you never know.

Maybe a Mike Heck book or the new sportsman altas.......??

I asked for "Barr Flies" and "Fly Tier's Benchside Reference," though after 40 years, I suppose I'm not going to improve my mediocre fly tying skills. Still, you never know. Off the topic of fly-fishing books, my wife got me "Archibald Rutledge's Greatest Turkey Hunting Tales" for my birthday, and from the South and early 1900s, there are certainly some politically incorrect things in it. Even so, it is a wonderful book about wild turkeys, wild turkey hunters, and wild turkey hunting.

I was thumbing through Mike Heck's Book, and commenting that it really looks great, when shopping at the Orvis store with my wife. It is now sitting in my X-mas stocking hanging on the fireplace mantle. I peeked! Can't wait to read it!

http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/MikeHeckBookSigning.cfm

If you already have quite a few books both tactical and what is sometimes referred to as lyrical (i.e. Middleton, Gierach, etc.), consider state guidebooks in places you might want to visit on a special trip or after you retire. The fact that you get the guidebook will get you thinking about it, and may spur you into action. There can be the odd fly you never heard about or tactic that is favored "there" but not in PA.

Montana, Wyoming, Idaho are the obvious western choices. Colorado and New Mexico are not shabby either, though the latter is mainly very small streams except the San Juan, which is over rated as a destination.

I requested Mike Heck's book from Santa too and I think it may have showed up in an Amazon box! :lol: I always try to request a book of some sorts every Christmas. Last year's book was an Amtrak history book which I have yet to read :-?

Guys,
I don't know where to put this, but our X-mas present was answerwed so far. I did ask for a few books. Tom Clancy--go figure.

Fisher will be done with his cancer treatments and will be "cancer free"!!!! If nothing comes back before age 6 we should be good.

If you want to get together for some winter/early spring fishing, I'm all for it and I will bring a pen for the books. Love to fish with friends and make some more buddies. As many SCPA guys know I'm here to fling a fly with.

Merry Christmas,
Mike

Mike,

Glad to hear the good news. I'm sure that is a present greater than any you or he could ever receive. Best wishes for healthy and prosperous new year and I look forward to tearing into your book in the coming weeks.

As someone mentioned above, Barr Flies is a good one. Overall a good read about some pretty great patterns. Full of pictures as well.

AK Best's Fly Box is a pretty good book also.

Back