Books for Beginners

Padraic

Padraic

What books do you recommend for new anglers and why?

I was thinking of the following:
Casting - OK this is actually a DVD by Joan Wulf Dynamics of Flycasting I like Joan Wulff's approach to teaching. It's very clear and she still seems to empathize with new fly casters.

Finding Trout - Reading Trout Streams by Tom Rosenbauer. I still read this every now and again. Great book for knowing what water does when you think you have it figured out. Better for knowing why trout do some of the weird stuff they do.

Hatches/ bugs in general - Aquatic Insects and Their Imitations The identification stuff is way over my head and a totally unneccessary to angling. What is great is how to fis each hatch. What nymphs to use when you are expecting it, what emergers to use when it's starting etc. Most important, how to fish each and where. For instance, a pheasant tail can be almost any mayfly nymph, but you may need to fish in the riffles for one hatch or the quiet edges of a pool for another.

No Hatches - Prospecting for Trout Tom Rosenbauer. Love this guys wit. Anyway, what to do when the trout aren't rising.

Presentation - Presenting the Fly by Lefty Kreh. This is probably in softcover now. Anyway, great book for the most important and overlooked aspect of flyfishing. After reading this, I became convinced that you can very often have the wrong fly (size, color etc) and still catch fish with the right presentation.

Back