Book Reviews on these Smallmouth books wanted.

Acristickid

Acristickid

Hello- I have recently become interested in fly fishing for smallmouth.

I got some good advice on here last week and even some books suggestions which are on my list but I found these at the Carnegie Library.

I have them on order and wanted to see if anyone has read them and could offer a review. Thanks in advance, Paul.

Smallmouth fly fishing : the best techniques, flies, and destinations by Tim Holschlag

Smallmouth strategies for the fly rod by Will Ryan

I have and read most of Will Ryan's book. Not a bad read and helped me locate smallie holding water at different times of the year. Overall I found it heplful and I recommend it. If you need to borrow it let me know.

JH

PS.. Bought my copy at Ollie's for $3.99 two years ago.

ffj- thx good to know.

acris,
Holschlag's book is probably the most informative book on fly fishing for smallmouth that is out there - at least among those that I have seen. I think he's got another book coming out soon on his river travels around the US. I am always skeptical when a book is called "definitive" (especially when it's the author making the claim, which Holschlag doesn't) but I think this book comes close to holding that claim in the field of FFing for smallies.

FI- Good news. That is better than I anticipated.

Paul

Saw this and thought of your recent post on poppers as well as the smallmouth books.

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/techniques/clouser_smallmouth.aspx

D- thanks. Starting to feel like the mayor with all the thank you's.

Ha.

But I see this stuff working. Yesterday, unbeknownst to me I think I tried some of the things in the article you mentioned as well as the other folks suggestions. Learning some stuff and it has been enjoyable actually catching fish. Hit Slippery Rock but in the day time (with bright sun- so still not much top water action yet) so still have not seen that white fly action yet. Maybe soon.

Paul

I second Tim Holschlags book it might not be pretty like clousers but it has the most info :-D

Back