Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Best Books

From Sullivan County, Pa
Hello,

Just want some input on some books that are a must read out there. I'm currently looking at getting A guide to Entomology book but haven't the slightest idea on which one to go with. I'm looking for something that is geared more towards the flyfishing aspect of Entomolgy and not a genereal book on it. Any input is greatly apprecited!

Thanks Again,
Freestoned

Posted on: 2012/3/15 11:05

Re: Best Books

From Lewistown
Mayflies and Caddisflies are two great books.

Posted on: 2012/3/15 13:59

From Pittsburgh
Hatches II by Caucci and Nastasi

you have to watch though, bugs are constantly being reclassified and regrouped so just because its published doesnt mean its currently accurate.

Posted on: 2012/3/15 15:47

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
turkey is dead on, that's a real good one.

For getting up to date, go to troutnut.com. I like the organization of the site by classification. If you look at the descriptions at the various levels, it usually tells you if species were renamed, combined, separated, or moved to a different classification. The photography, though, isn't actually that good.

Posted on: 2012/3/15 15:54

From Philadelphia
The book that helped me the most was "Trout Fishing in Rivers and Streams" by Art Lee. Fabulolus book IMHO.

I may not have the title exactly correct but it is something close to that.

Posted on: 2012/3/15 15:56

Charlie Meck's pocket guide is a great little book to carry on stream. Light to carry and easier to conceal behind a tree while reading to avoid that clueless new guy douchebag look.

All of the others mention are must haves around the house.

Posted on: 2012/3/15 17:57

From North East PA
Okay, you convinced this "clueless new guy" (I'll skip the douchebag part, ok?) to go to Amazon and place my order for one of Meck's books, PA Trout Streams and Their Hatches in paperback, so that I can carry it in the back of my vest.

Only thing is, I'm going to have to look for some good-sized trees to hide behind when reading it stream-side!

Quote:

littlelehigh wrote:
Charlie Meck's pocket guide is a great little book to carry on stream. Light to carry and easier to conceal behind a tree while reading to avoid that clueless new guy douchebag look.

All of the others mention are must haves around the house.

Posted on: 2012/3/17 9:00

From Pittsburgh
The Meck books are great. The pocket guide is nice to have and the stream guide has a lot of info. Again, id look for the newest edition of any book unless you're a collector and want the first edition of Haig-Browns something something in hardback.

You guys shouldn't worry anything, just because you're "new guys" reading a book behind a tree or otherwise...although DJS I'm guessing you were joking.

My favorite PA-centric book is by Dwight Landis. Its not a bug book but its great.

Posted on: 2012/3/18 0:54

From Ferguson Twp.
The pocket guide is really handy to have, I take it to things where I know I'll have some down time at. I've met quite a few flyfishers and had some good conversations that would otherwise not have happened.

Posted on: 2012/3/24 8:19

Don't be confused: Meck's Trout Streams and their Hatches is not the same book as the Pocket Guide to PA Hatches that he co-authored with Paul Weamer. I think the Meck/Weamer collaboration is the one that will be more helpful to you.
For better, more-complete books, Caucci and Nastasi's Hatches II, Fauceglia's Mayflies, and Ames's Caddisflies are wonderful books. I am especially partial to the Fauceglia book. they are not inexpensive, but if you are computer conversant, you can find them at reduced rates. My wife has found books cheaply for me, anyhow. Good luck.

Posted on: 2012/3/25 20:44

From "THE VILLE"
"Meck's Trout Streams and their Hatches is not the same book as the Pocket Guide to PA Hatches that he co-authored with Paul Weamer."

Speaking of Charlie meck And Paul there signing there books at TCO in state college this sat. For the release of Charle’s New book Matching Hatches Made Easy - 10 Steps to Catch more Fish.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 12:41
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.”

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
119 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com