Best Books

freestoned123

freestoned123

Hello,

Just want some input on some books that are a must read out there. I'm currently looking at getting A guide to Entomology book but haven't the slightest idea on which one to go with. I'm looking for something that is geared more towards the flyfishing aspect of Entomolgy and not a genereal book on it. Any input is greatly apprecited!

Thanks Again,
Freestoned

Mayflies and Caddisflies are two great books.

Hatches II by Caucci and Nastasi

you have to watch though, bugs are constantly being reclassified and regrouped so just because its published doesnt mean its currently accurate.

turkey is dead on, that's a real good one.

For getting up to date, go to troutnut.com. I like the organization of the site by classification. If you look at the descriptions at the various levels, it usually tells you if species were renamed, combined, separated, or moved to a different classification. The photography, though, isn't actually that good.

The book that helped me the most was "Trout Fishing in Rivers and Streams" by Art Lee. Fabulolus book IMHO.

I may not have the title exactly correct but it is something close to that.

Charlie Meck's pocket guide is a great little book to carry on stream. Light to carry and easier to conceal behind a tree while reading to avoid that clueless new guy douchebag look.

All of the others mention are must haves around the house.

Okay, you convinced this "clueless new guy" (I'll skip the douchebag part, ok?) to go to Amazon and place my order for one of Meck's books, PA Trout Streams and Their Hatches in paperback, so that I can carry it in the back of my vest.

Only thing is, I'm going to have to look for some good-sized trees to hide behind when reading it stream-side! :)

littlelehigh wrote:
Charlie Meck's pocket guide is a great little book to carry on stream. Light to carry and easier to conceal behind a tree while reading to avoid that clueless new guy douchebag look.

All of the others mention are must haves around the house.

The Meck books are great. The pocket guide is nice to have and the stream guide has a lot of info. Again, id look for the newest edition of any book unless you're a collector and want the first edition of Haig-Browns something something in hardback.

You guys shouldn't worry anything, just because you're "new guys" reading a book behind a tree or otherwise...although DJS I'm guessing you were joking.

My favorite PA-centric book is by Dwight Landis. Its not a bug book but its great.

The pocket guide is really handy to have, I take it to things where I know I'll have some down time at. I've met quite a few flyfishers and had some good conversations that would otherwise not have happened.

Don't be confused: Meck's Trout Streams and their Hatches is not the same book as the Pocket Guide to PA Hatches that he co-authored with Paul Weamer. I think the Meck/Weamer collaboration is the one that will be more helpful to you.
For better, more-complete books, Caucci and Nastasi's Hatches II, Fauceglia's Mayflies, and Ames's Caddisflies are wonderful books. I am especially partial to the Fauceglia book. they are not inexpensive, but if you are computer conversant, you can find them at reduced rates. My wife has found books cheaply for me, anyhow. Good luck.

"Meck's Trout Streams and their Hatches is not the same book as the Pocket Guide to PA Hatches that he co-authored with Paul Weamer."

Speaking of Charlie meck And Paul there signing there books at TCO in state college this sat. For the release of Charle’s New book Matching Hatches Made Easy - 10 Steps to Catch more Fish.

Back