Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bamboo Fly Rod Suite

From Souderton PA
I read this book by accident. For a long time now I have been looking for a cheap copy of Polly Rosborough's "Tying and Fishing Fuzzy Nymphs." I finally found it at a very low price on one of the used book sites and had a 20% off coupon. But the cost of the book was less than the minimum to use the coupon (that's how they get ya). Anyway, I poked around for something to add and found Frank Soos' "Bamboo Fly Rod Suite."
I had seen this book before, but never could decide to pay $15 for a book of less than 80 pages. The price was right, so I grabbed it and it arrived just after Christmas. Based on the back cover, I was expecting a story about a guy who finds a restores an old bamboo rod. What I got instead was an unexpected surprise. On the surface, there is a guy and a bamboo rod, but there is an awful lot more going on here. I'm tempted to use words like philosophical or spiritual, but not in the way a lot of new age fly fishing nonsense pretends to be. The author has thought a lot about...well, a lot. It is not overbearing, and is really beautifully written. The closest thing I can remember reading is Pirsig's "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", but that is not quite right either.
It was impossible to read this book quickly. I had to stop and think about almost every sentence. In the end I learned nothing about bamboo rods or fishing, but spent a few enjoyable hours in a virtual conversation with a skilled writer.
I can't recommend paying full price for this little book, but if you find it used or can borrow it, it is a great read. Would love to hear from anyone else that got a chance to read this.
Mike.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 22:38

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
30 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com