2 books I'm looking into buying

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I was at at book store the other day and was checking out a few books that looked pretty decent. I'm looking for a good book to identify the real insects to the tied version. The book I found that looked the best was "handbook of hatches". Also saw a book called "the fly tying bible" it was spiral bound and had I believe 100 patterns in it. Just wondering if anyone has seen or read these books and if they recomend them. thanks for the help!

Ryan

I did extensive fly tying book research (by that, I mean I drank tons of coffee at barnes and noble, and read most of them. I bought a bunch too), and found this to be one of the best:

http://tinyurl.com/2dc2vb

I can't recommend it enough. It kind of stinks... I don't have an excuse to buy any more fly tying books after getting this one.

I have the "Fly Tying Bible". It's pretty good. I really enjoy the Fly Tyers Benchside Reference. It's a little pricy but has tons of good information. Amazon has both on sale I see.

I've seen teh "bible" one its ok..the benchside reference is big and expensive but if you don't mind the investment (I got mine as a gift) It will answer most any tying question you have...If you read a recipe and you think, "how'd they do that?" You can look up that particular technique in the book.

I bought the fly tying bible when I was first starting out. The thing I liked about it was how it rated flies by the level of difficulty. It kind of gives you a sense of how your tying abilities are coming along. Other than that it wasn't the greatest in terms of instructions. I bought another book that was like the benchside reference in how it described a lot of different methods, but minus about 700 pages and no where near as detailed.

I've picked up a few books from ebay at very reasonable prices. I especially like an Art Flick book I got a few months ago. It actaully has several famous tiers giving instructions on various flies. There are little hand drawn instructions on the sides of the main text for a few flies, the no hackle comes to mind.

Thanks for the input guys!

Ryan

Back