HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: "A River runs through it"

From York, PA
Quote:

Sasquatch wrote:
That movie reminds me a lot of my brother, dad and myself, despite going down different paths at times in our lives, we could always come back and fly fish

That movie inspires me to fly fish more, like I mentioned in the OP. Sas, lots of good stuff in that movie. The dad's a pastor who goes fishing as much as he reads the Bible?

How fly fishing brings fams together. How God's wonder is there in those beautiful Montana streams?

I don't like to read a long word filled book that much? Way too much "filler" for me! If they had a "Cliff's Notes" version of A River runs through it, I might read that?

Posted on: 2013/1/19 23:31

From Lehigh Valley
Saw the movie when it was in the theater with a bunch of my fishing buddies from when I was younger.

None of us criticized it, but we all agreed to go fishing together the next day. Now we're scattered all over the country, but we still get together to fish once a year - at least some of us. We've lost a few along the way...

Posted on: 2013/1/20 0:13

From Chester County
Quote:

rrt wrote:
I have to agree with Dwight. I think the movie is all right, but the novella is much better.

Has anyone ever both read a book and seen the movie, but actually liked the movie better?

Books can tell a story like no movie really can. The thoughts of the characters can be expressed in a book which can be a whole story on it's own. Also your own imagination paints the picture of a scene which often is far more vivid or spectacular than any movie can depict.

I've read a book first and have often been disappointed by a movie because many parts of the story are often "lost" in a movie. And the reverse, if I really like a movie, I can be sure I will really love the book.

Posted on: 2013/1/20 6:15

From SWPA
Quote:

I don't like to read a long word filled book that much? Way too much "filler" for me! If they had a "Cliff's Notes" version of A River runs through it, I might read that?

It's not a long book at all. It's a novella, which is basically a short novel

Posted on: 2013/1/20 7:04

From harlansburg
I like the book better, but the movie is ok. If it doesn't make you want to fish out west, nothing will.

Posted on: 2013/1/20 7:44

I enjoyed both the book and the movie, for different reasons. The book, in my opinion, is a masterpiece. In the movie, a beautiful story was told over 2+ hours. What many people don't realize is the book is only around 100 pages long, maybe less. You can read it in a couple of hours. I read the book in about 90 minutes while sitting in the ER with a broken ankle, waiting to be seen. Maclean has a tremendous ability to tell a story using simple, direct language. That's an art that is lost on many authors today (not just sporting authors, but all novelists).

If you haven't read it yet, grab a copy and give it a go. It's really amazing.

Posted on: 2013/1/20 8:08

From Chester County
Quote:

jbeck wrote:
I enjoyed both the book and the movie, for different reasons. The book, in my opinion, is a masterpiece. In the movie, a beautiful story was told over 2+ hours. What many people don't realize is the book is only around 100 pages long, maybe less. You can read it in a couple of hours. I read the book in about 90 minutes while sitting in the ER with a broken ankle, waiting to be seen. Maclean has a tremendous ability to tell a story using simple, direct language. That's an art that is lost on many authors today (not just sporting authors, but all novelists).

If you haven't read it yet, grab a copy and give it a go. It's really amazing.

tl;dr.......lol

Actually, +1

Posted on: 2013/1/20 8:10

From Lehigh Valley, PA
I think Ill throw my 2 cents here LOL

I have never read the book but definitely WANT to. I will have to say that this movie is one of my favorite movies out there. To me, this movie is not only about FF, but also Norman Mcleans life. I always took as a biography of sorts. Yeah the fishing is definitely staged, the backdrops are awesome. To see how 2 young boys started the lifestyle of FF at very young ages and never forgot their roots and see one river as "their Home" reminds me of what life is supposed to be like. How simple it is and how families can be boinded by one certain thing. I love FF, I started when I was in my 20s. Not because of the movie, but because my father taught me a new way to fish. I find myself wishing I was out on the river when I watch it. If this movie did in fact bring "yuppies" to the stream, the so be it, More people enjoying our sport. Maybe a few stayed, maybe a few didnt. Does it really matter? IMHO no it doesnt. The movie was great in my mind, and I cant wait to read the book as I am sure it is just as great if not better.

Posted on: 2013/1/20 8:20

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."

From Clearfield
Quote:

1wt wrote:

You have no idea what you're missing out on. Not just this book, but many others as well.

Posted on: 2013/1/20 9:36

From New Cumberland
Norman's other book, "Young Men and Fire" is worth picking up,too-very technical book about a fire that killed several forest firefighters.

Posted on: 2013/1/20 10:36

From SW PA
I've never read a story by Norman Maclean, that was NOT enjoyable. I often times, stop and re-read a paragraph and think about, not just what the author said, but how he said it. Maclean had a great way of saying things. IMHO.

Posted on: 2013/1/20 11:10

From Lancaster, PA
I am definitely a fan of the movie. It makes me think about the bigger picture of things and how fly fishing can be an escape. I've got the book on my shelf, but have yet to read it. I plan on doing so at some point.

Incidentally, the actor who plays Norman Maclean, Craig Sheffer, is a south-central PA native. He grew up in York, PA and graduated from Central York High School. Just a little piece of trivia, since this is a PA fishing site.

Posted on: 2013/1/20 15:58

From Erie, PA
I have seen the movie at least 100 times. Its one of my favorite of all time. I can just about state every line of the movie, am I weird..maybe. The book is very good, I am not much of a reader of novels but I enjoyed it. You know the river they claim the big blackfoot is not really the big blackfoot in the movie?

Posted on: 2013/1/20 19:27

"It is my love poem to my family," Maclean said in 1986. "It is a story of the tragedy of my family."

It seemed to me that the family tragedy comes through in the book. In the movie, maybe not so much.

Posted on: 2013/1/20 20:34

From Harrisburg
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
"It is my love poem to my family," Maclean said in 1986. "It is a story of the tragedy of my family."

It seemed to me that the family tragedy comes through in the book. In the movie, maybe not so much.

Dear troutbert,

Funny, but that is exactly how I saw the movie. It wasn't about fly fishing but rather the story of a dysfunctional family. Flyfishing was nothing more than a backdrop to the real story.

And I've never read the book.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2013/1/20 20:52
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com