Zebra Midges

A

AmishOutlaw

Just wanted to get some thoughts on zebra midges and how you fish them. I tied a few up the other evening on a size 16 and tried them out in the morning. The stream I was fishing was stocked a few days prior and was fishable but muddy. I was pleasantly surprised to land a couple with it being so muddy. I was fishing it tandem with a glo bug about 10" down. What are your thoughts and experiences with zebra midges?

Fish them in 16-22. Use any combination of colors.

I fish them deep, trailing a nymph or other weighted fly (like you did). I also fish them as a trailer behind a dry when fish are actively feeding higher in the water column. When fish are chasing emergent midges, I fish just the midge under a small indicator. I vary the depth, but 1' or so down works best.

Pretty much the same thing. I usually tie them as glass bead heads 18-22, black, olive, tan, brown, and always use them as the trailing fly. I have also used them as a trailer behind a dry letting the lead fly act as an indicator.

Black, maroon and red Zebra with a tiny beadhead trailing 24 inches behind a pink sj worm.
The worm seems to attract the fish and also makes a nice visible underwater indicator for high sticking.
#24 in red is one of my go-to late Spring-early Summer patterns.

yes 16 is quite "large" for a midge imitation. It will still catch fish as you found out, but I tie mine much smaller... probably sz 20 is my smallest. I buy small glass beads at a craft store and use those. Mine are in black, red, and brown... just thread wraps and silver or gold ribbing with the bead. I also sometimes overlap it with a 4 or 5x tippet. I've had great days with them, even caught a few smallies on them. But when the midges are on, you need to have small flies on or they'll get refused.

I may not be correct on this, but most of the midges I see hatching are on slow deep pools. So that's where I fish them. Saw a few last night, but I think they get a bit better once the weather warms up in the next few days. sz #22 griffiths gnat dry does the trick for me most days when the midges are out.

Ryan

ryguyfi wrote:
yes 16 is quite "large" for a midge imitation. It will still catch fish as you found out, but I tie mine much smaller... probably sz 20 is my smallest. I buy small glass beads at a craft store and use those. Mine are in black, red, and brown... just thread wraps and silver or gold ribbing with the bead. I also sometimes overlap it with a 4 or 5x tippet. I've had great days with them, even caught a few smallies on them. But when the midges are on, you need to have small flies on or they'll get refused.

I may not be correct on this, but most of the midges I see hatching are on slow deep pools. So that's where I fish them. Saw a few last night, but I think they get a bit better once the weather warms up in the next few days. sz #22 griffiths gnat dry does the trick for me most days when the midges are out.

Ryan

I have seen size 16 adult midges before, and have seen many size 16 larvae. They are out there.

I have found that midge dries are best in slow water, but zebra midges can be a general purpose prospecting fly. I've caught trout in the closest thing to pocket water that the tully has, and I'm sure it would work elsewhere.

Amish,

This is my first year really focusing on fishing midges. I got some pointers from JayL, and I've definitely been having some success this year. I like to fish them size 18 to 22 about 16 to 24 inches behind a dryfly on 6X tippet. I had one banner day already this spring where I caught 3 really nice browns in succession from the same hole with this technique.

Thanks guys for all your input! I will try some of these tactics.

Charlie Meck listed the Zebra Midge as one of his top 10 flies a few years ago. I had never used one before. I tied some up, 18-24, and it is now one of my top 10 flies by far. Mostly about a 20 I would say, but sometimes I don't really know what size they are. I have them lined up in my nymph box and grab one that is not too big, not too small. I have fished them deep behind another nymph with an indicator quite successfully. I only tied up black with gold head, gold wrap. Not sure if I am missing something there.

The previous posters have pretty much covered the bases and I can't really add much.

For sizes and tying, I try to keep my ZMs very slender. I think the key is a strong contrast between body color and ribbing. When I'm searching with a larger nymph, I like a larger ZM, say about #18. For technical presentations that involve sight fishing to fish clearly feeding on midges, I think it's a good time to go smaller, about #24 or so.

I love to fish midges especially dry, the whole way down to 28 but i've never heard of a zebra midge could someone give me a pattern or a pic?

osprey wrote:
I love to fish midges especially dry, the whole way down to 28 but i've never heard of a zebra midge could someone give me a pattern or a pic?

Zebra-Midge-Tungsten-Bead-Black-side.jpg

Mix and match wire, thread, and bead colors. Black/silver rib/brass bead is my favorite.

Thanks Jay nice looking fly there.

One of my most productive flies this spring has been a 20 or 22 Zebra. I have been tying them in black, red and olive. One variant that has worked real, real well is one without the bead and with a short wing of flash type material. I have been using minnow belly flash, but KF works too. These flies ave caught fish as a deep nymph and as a damp dry, and everywhere in between.

Back