Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Youth Team USA wins GOLD Medal!

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I was gonna say. On the adult results, the USA team had the most points, and was 2nd in # of fish, yet finished 5th.

The youths, on the other hand, finished 2nd in points, and 2nd in # of fish, behind the Czech Republic in both categories. However, the USA finished 1st while the Czech's finished 5th.

Placing makes sense.

Posted on: 2011/9/2 10:18

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
It seems like it's somehow weighted for team average. When you look at the USA the worst overall place out of the 5 team members was 13th overall. Yeah the overall winner was from the CR, but they had 32,33, and 43th place overall. There's something behind those numbers that show the US should have won, which they did.

Awesome job USA!

Posted on: 2011/9/2 14:00

Use code "paff" for 15% off.

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
ryguy,

By placings, keep in mind, thats in multiple sessions. It looks like 5 sessions.

Lets say I fish 5 sessions. Each session they keep track of everyone's points in that session, and rank us at the end of each session. Now, in the 5 sessions, I've finished 1st, 20th, 12th, 5th, and 3rd.

Now, at the end of the competition, they take all 5 sessions for each of us, and add up our placings. Total points don't matter at this point, it's about placings. I would have finished with 41 placings (1+20+12+5+3=41). The individual rankings are then based on these placings, with the lowest # finishing highest.

For team scores, they simply add up the placings for each team member to get a # of placings for the whole team, and rank that.

What I don't know is whether there are only 5 team members. I thought there were more but could be wrong. Do they only take the top 5 for each team?

Posted on: 2011/9/2 14:21

From Ohio
Awsome!!

I'm not really in to competitive fishing but I kind of wished I would of went to the clinic they had and tried out, even if I didn't make the team. Anyone know what the age cutoff is?

Posted on: 2011/9/2 14:26

From Lehigh Valley
I think the age cutoff is 18 yrs. There's more than 5 kids on the team, but only 6 are chosen for the championship. 5 actually fish, one is an alternate.

Posted on: 2011/9/2 15:03

From Pittsburgh
Streamerguy,

The cut off is the season after your 18th year. (i.e if you turn 19 in the middle of the competition season you are still eligible.)

But there regional teams. I am not a member of the Youth Team yet, but i am a member of Team Freestone which has members in PA, NY and, NJ.

Posted on: 2011/9/2 16:32

From Ohio
Quote:
But there regional teams. I am not a member of the Youth Team yet, but i am a member of Team Freestone which has members in PA, NY and, NJ

You have a link to these teams?

Posted on: 2011/9/2 16:50

From Pittsburgh
http://troutlegend.com is a forum for comp anglers. Keep up to date on the site and go to a mini competition. Teams are often recruiting.

Posted on: 2011/9/2 16:55

From down the block from the Letort.
They're ruining my sport!

/JOKE
(figured I'd get that out the way for the trolls...)

Nice work lads!

Great to see the 'locals' represent.

Posted on: 2011/9/2 17:05

What wonderful news. I am so proud of all of the team. Gosh it's been too long since I've seen some of the boys that are now older young men. I know about the pressure, the expectations but when you have a class act..it all comes together.

These young men have every right to......celebrate. They have earned it!

Congratulations to the United State's Youth Fly FIshing Team!!

Posted on: 2011/9/2 23:45

From State College, PA
Thanks for all the positive comments and well wishes. I am Rich Reedinger, the Team Manager for the US Youth Team and am still grinning and walking without my feet touching the ground. We have a great group of young people on the team which now totals 18. Usually, we have six kids make the travel team to various competitions, sometimes just 5. The World Championship is , obviously, our big event for the year. Next year it will be in France.
The team will be competing in the America Cup in Vail, Colorado next week. After that, we will be planning for next year. We will have clinics in North Carolina, Pennsylvania and either Montana or Colorado. Our Youth National Championship will be held in Cherokee, NC next June.
For anyone interested in applying or just interested in volunteering some time to help out, please take a look at our website. www.usyouthflyfishingteam.com. All the info is there. Heritage is right on with all his comments and we wish he lived a bit closer and didn't have to work so much so he could be around the team more. We are looking also for adults who can help with planning, sponsorship, and many other needs within the organization. Contact info is on the website.
It is a great experience to pass on fly fishing traditions and skills to the next generation. Watching them grow as sportsmen is very rewarding. You would also get to follow all the latest new techniques used in competitions by the best fly fishers in the world.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 11:03

From Gettysburg
Rich,
Congrats and kudos to you and your team.

Posted on: 2011/9/8 22:30

My son Aston Boone is on the team.

Attach file:

jpg  DSCN1211.JPG (389.21 KB)
5543_4e7b8ccfd6b35.jpg 1500X1125 px

Posted on: 2011/9/22 15:26

From Pittsburgh
What country are the boys on the right repping? The look F-ing miserable!

Posted on: 2011/9/22 16:37

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

Hammerhead81 wrote:
What country are the boys on the right repping? The look F-ing miserable!

That would be Spain. Italy is on the left.

Something I found odd when I was involved with the 2007 Youth Championships was that OUR boys had the least support from their organizations. Most countries had some sort of support system in place to either pay the kid's way entirely, or at least defray most of the major expenses - like travel costs, gear, etc.

After 2007, the USA Youth Team became based out of State College, PA, and guys like Rich Reedinger (Team Manager), and John Ford (Team President) stepped up to the plate and developed a strong support base for the team. These guys are really good at what they do!

The result speaks volumes. The USA Youth Team organization is now a well oiled machine, and they're always looking for more support and donations to make sure our kids are never lacking for resources. The bulk of our team will be returning for a few years, so Team USA will be a force to be reckoned with for years to come. They have also established a strong developmental program to ensure a high skill level in future teams.

While kudos deserve to be given to the kids, a great deal of credit should be given to the USA Youth Team organization. They're just plain awesome!

Mr. Boone - Thanks for posting that photo. You have every right to be proud of your son's accomplishments, and I thank you for supporting and encouraging his love of flyfishing.

Gold looks really good on those kids, no?

H.A.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 17:30

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
171 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com