Yellowstone Back Country Fishing Trip

Foxgap239

Foxgap239

Don't if anyone has done this but I'm looking to do a Yellowstone Back Country Horseback Fishing trip. Has anyone done this? If so, recommendations of outfitters? Also any lessons learned that I should avoid? I'm thinking next July or August. I fished Yellowstone a few years back but only on the beaten path, now I'd like to go off the beaten path.

Anyone interested in going along? Right now this is just in the idea stage and it might just be me unless I can drag some of my buddies along.

Thanks.
Fox

I might be interested depending on when you are going. My son and I went on a 3-4 day trip out of Cody 3 years ago. We went up the South Fork of the Shoshone River - nine miles in from the end of a dirt road that was 30 miles from nothing. The fishing was good and the experience was fantastic. We used Double R Ranch out of Cody as the outfitter and were really happy with them. I've read good things about outfits running out of West Yellowstone as well. It's fairly easy to research some of this on the net.

Heading out later this month for some non pack trip fishing out there.

I am also in the idea phase but am uncertain of feasibility based on price, logistics, and my wife. Yellow dog fly fishing uses sunrise station pack services. They have organized horseback trips designed for photographers, fishing, or just sightseeing. The trips did not look terribly expensive for a 4-6 day pack (1700-2100). This is the only outfitter I have researched.

I am VERY interested in a similar type of trip in the summer of 2013 or 2014 and I would be interested in getting in with folks from PAFF if some are interested. I just can't commit until I get a better sense of cost. Please keep me in the loop. Are you planning to drive or fly?
Flights to Helena are the cheapest I could find and are about 3 hrs from YP. Car rental would be much cheaper if splitting with a few guys rather than swinging it myself.

I went on this kind of horse back back country camping/fishing trip three times, one in Grand Teton national park for cut throat, one in Colorado national park for green back (kirk's fly shop), and one time in Whitefish Montana (Spotted bear ranch) . I usually go with Orivs endorsed outfitters, They are usually very nice and accommodating but of course a little bit pricy.

I would be interested in joining your trip to Yellowstone if the date and cost work out well.

Okay, I'll do some research and get it out there. First guy I contacted (greater Yellowstone Outfitters) wants $550 per person per day and that includes almost everything as far as camp gear, horses and food. Need to bring your own fishing gear and of course does not include tips for guides and other camp hands.

I'm planning on flying out and I want to use American since I have a ton of frequent flyer miles. Last time I flew into Salt Lake and drove up. Nice drive. According to them we'd need to finalize by January to get camp sites.

I think $550 is a bit steep and we could do better. I'll look for some outfitters as well if we have several guys who are least interested in hearing more about possibilities.

Some friends of mine have gone on horse outfitter trips in the Bob Marshall Wilderness (or "The Bob" as they call it) and fished for cutthroat trout. That would be my dream horse trip.

My other dream trip would be going on a float trip down the Middle Fork of the Salmon in Idaho. The cutthroat fishing is apparently excellent. I saw a photo presentation on this and the scenery is stunning.

Back