Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 19 »

Re: Would you pay to fish a PA trout stream?

From Pittsburgh
Now that I think about it more, I guess I did kinda pay one little access fee.
The last couple times I fished the bighorn river, you had to purchase a $5 day use fee on it. But it also allowed you camping and boating privelages also. So, not techinically a pay to fish thing.

I remember when the Espy farm section of the little juniata river first went private 20 years ago. That section of the river had been open to the public before that, and had become one of my favorite places to fish.
But Mr Espy wanted to make a little money off of it, and decided to charge a fee - $200 a year - to fish there then. I never even considered doing it. It was the principle of it for me.
So, I started exploring other sections of the river. And quickly found out that the fishing there was just as good, if not better.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:03

I hate to do this, but I kind of agree with Jack. Anyhow, I am not perfect in this area. 35 years ago, I joined a local ff club for a year and found that it wasn't for me (kind of like fishing for your pets). Since then, I never have, and I have turned down opportunities to fish at private clubs, most notably on Spruce Creek. But, I can envision a scenario where I would. Locally, almost all of our fishing is done on privately owned but still publicly accessible properties. These landowners are not wealthy people and work hard to make ends meet. They have welcomed me to their properties for over 40 years of fly-fishing, and I am extremely grateful for their generosity. If they as individual landowners would ask for a reasonable access fee to fish on their properties to help make their ends meet, I believe I would do it. It is pretty difficult for rural property owners, especially farmers, in today's world. (I truly think a good easement program from the FBC would help them a lot.) At any rate, though I never have (except for my youthful indiscretion with the club many years ago) paid to access a property to fish and certainly prefer not to, I can say never say never. The scenario I have described is one in which I think I would pay to fish for wild trout, not for pellet-fed hatchery dumbbells.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:09

From Bozeman
For those that feel that the rule is too general:

How about if the question were changed to a proposal like LJ is making: Small access fees on all water ways to "compete" with clubs?

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:13

From Greensburg, PA
Scenario: You drive to a section of Spring Creek you have been fishing for 30 years. There is now a sign that reads Fishing Access $20...pay at house across the street. Do you just pay?

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:14

i would not pay just like i would not charge people to sue my land

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:16

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

jayL wrote:

How about if the question were changed to a proposal like LJ is making: Small access fees on all water ways to "compete" with clubs?

I don't think you want competition...The best streams will be unaffordable and the worst streams will be the cheapest. Little J access should bring a pretty penny.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:17

From Reading
HELL NO!!

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:17

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
Scenario: You drive to a section of Spring Creek you have been fishing for 30 years. There is now a sign that reads Fishing Access $20...pay at house across the street. Do you just pay?

No.
As the old saying goes - there's plenty of other fish in the sea.
And in spring creek

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:19

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

jayL wrote:

Is that was he was saying?

Then the answer is no.

Still too general.

It is really inconceivable if you think about it. On each stream? How would you enforce it?

If you mean another stamp that covers all wild streams? Then maybe. Great intention, but I can also see problems with that (that have already been discussed).

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:21

From Bozeman
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
Quote:

jayL wrote:

Is that was he was saying?

Then the answer is no.

Still too general.

It is really inconceivable if you think about it. On each stream? How would you enforce it?

If you mean another stamp that covers all wild streams? Then maybe. Great intention, but I can also see problems with that (that have already been discussed).

Think of the european model.

All I am asking is whether you are opposed to the idea of paying a private landowner for a day's access to a wild trout stream. Take a flyer and take a stance on it.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:23

From Dallastown, PA
My gosh, the answer is yes or no...vote or get out of the line.

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:

You mean like it being one of those new taxes you like so much?

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
The question is "would you pay to fish unstocked wild trout streams". Reisica falls and lititz Run in the conservancy don't count.

My answer....I paid John Hamer to fish Spruce Creek 15 years ago, well I gave him five bucks cuz he was whining about how much it costs to feed the trout and how all the guys who come to fish and are granted permission never pay. I don't care if he used it to buy pringles, if it meant he stopped yelling at me, it was worth the money.

I guess most of those trout were probably stocked too.

I am in favor of fishing by permission only if the landowner has reservations about leaving the property open without restriction.

So was this a yes or a no...

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:24

From Dispositionally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
No, I would not..

In my view, it is a very close call which is the greater long-term threat to our sport; various types of pollution and degradation or a commoditization that threatens to narrow the future stakeholder base.

I will not open my wallet to contribute to the demise of the sport.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:24

So what is the count, the "Access Is Worth Nothing Crew" which SRC played constantly to their landowners. (AKA The Free Lunch Crowd)

Or the responsible fly fishers who believe landowners should be compensated.

On here I fear SRC will win

lets not count the circle jerks surrounding the too/two cheap guys

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:25

QUESTION "EVERYTHING"

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 19 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
171 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com