Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 19 »

Re: Would you pay to fish a PA trout stream?

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
Quote:

troutbert wrote:

The trout stamp has raised millions of the years. What did we get out of it?

Fish, period. That is all I ever heard it was for.

I pay for an Erie stamp which IS supposed to pay for access.

Me too, even though I knew there was very little chance I would use it. I was right.

I would also agree to a general stamp or even an increase in the current trout stamp if procedes were used to purchase easments instead of just more trout. But it would have to be well thought out and not just a general knee jerk reaction. The Erie thing makes sense. I just don't see how that would work statewide, but would be willing to listen.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 10:36

From Dispositionally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
>>Also, there is a 10% federal tax on fishing tackle at the manufacturer level. This includes tackle used by trout fishermen, both fly and spin fishers. Where is that money going? Why is it not being used to purchase land and easements along trout streams?>>

That's a good question. The most obvious answer I can think of is that whatever percentage of these funds were used for access acquisition probably went mostly to establish public access to lakes and rivers. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I can think of few lakes or major flowing waters in the Commonwealth that do not have at least one and often several public access points.

I think this is mostly a squeaky wheel gets the grease thing.. Lake and river access serves multiple user groups as well as the preponderance of anglers who are warm water oriented and are only incidental trout fishermen. Not all trout stream accesses do the same.

Don't even get me started on the trout stamp thing. Not unless you want to see me draw analogies to heroin addiction where the same substance that sustains the host also slowly kills it...:)

Posted on: 2010/2/23 10:36

From South Central PA
No.

If the trout streams go priviate I will fish carp. More interesting and challenging anyway, and more likely to survive warming and environmental degradation that goes along with privatization.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 10:39

From lancaster county
Ok Maurice,

Under the new criteria then i would be a resounding NO. I will not pay for wild trout access to a few streams while 10,000 miles lay free totally for the taking

If PA became the "fishing fee" state that LJ wishes.............

Im moving to Canada

Posted on: 2010/2/23 10:53

From Bozeman
I would move to Montana. Hooray for wade laws.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 10:54

From lancaster county
Good point. I have no idea what Canada's rules are regaurding access. I just figured they have so much pristine wilderness.......id just fade into it undetected for a week at a time

Posted on: 2010/2/23 10:56

Posted on: 2010/2/23 10:58

QUESTION "EVERYTHING"

From Bozeman
I have never paid more than $50 for a PSU ticket. How is that related?

Posted on: 2010/2/23 10:59

From lancaster county
Ive never even been to a PSU game

Posted on: 2010/2/23 11:00

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

jayL wrote:
I have never paid more than $50 for a PSU ticket. How is that related?

Heck. I never paid anything for one. Same thing, right?

Posted on: 2010/2/23 11:00

From Bozeman
I have been to one. And to really make LJ's blood boil, I'll mention that I drank mad elf while tailgating. I even gave one to a politician (scout's honor. he was tailgating next to us). I then proceeded to pay zero to fish spring creek.

I'd imagine LJ's pen will be smeared with feces after reading that.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 11:02

paying a landowner to fish doesn't ,seem feasable to me , is there going to be different colored permission slips used to show u paid that day ? , are u gonna have to show it to the landowner when checked or a patrolman he hired to check u with your money u paid him ? charging a fee for a stamp to fish wild trout waters is a joke too , what would the money be used for ? stream cleanup ? dams being built ? i would guess not , the money will be wasted by the state in my opinion. when the beav sees that there are still tons of guys fishing a certain creek after the "pay the landowner for access " goes through , he will target the landowner into selling to him , out bid again. the fees for fishing have nothing to do with the quality of the sport or quantity of it either , just like pheasant stocking the license fees went up and stocking went down , same with trout !

Posted on: 2010/2/23 11:08

From lancaster county
Here is a good example how these transactions are supposed to go.

One time while fishing in Lebanon County.........

A buddy of mine and I had access to the creek by walking through a long field with tall grass. Very tall grass. We were trying to stay to the edge of the field as the walking is easier. This property is right next to a house and the guy saw us weaving through the field. He saw our rods and called us over.

He said, we could use his driveway anytime and just follow the path at the end, it goes straight to the creek. We thanked him for his offer, just then he said.......

You guys dont mind helping me lifting this saw up on my work bench do ya? I said absolutley not!

We helped the man and he wished us luck fishing. That day we caught 15 trout in about an hour. 2 were about 20 inches.

All done with out a deposit slip or a check book

Posted on: 2010/2/23 11:09

From on elk creek fishing
If you post it and allow only with permission or a fee does that open up a liability issues on the property owners?
I feel the "club" would have to have it's own insurance and a few, if not one claim, would make the coverage unaffordable, especially with the wealth of the so called clients (Members) the club has in its ranks. I sure would not lease my land because the burden of proof could transfer to all owners/leasees of a said property. Just a thought. The rules are in favor of the State easements but I don't think private leases have the afforded luxury.
I sure would not like to lose my property.

I would like to hear some answers to this point.
The recreational law http://www.fishandboat.com/water/publ ... c_use_land_water_act.htmI don't think take into consideration if it is open with a fee.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 11:10

Depends on what stream and when.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 11:11

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 19 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
51 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com