Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 19 »

Re: Would you pay to fish a PA trout stream?

From Bozeman
"Free Lunch" proudly accounted for at 19-9 so far, Dick.

I only speak for myself here, but there is something uniquely American about open access for fishing, and I choose not to participate if it becomes an issue of nickels and dimes.

Besides, you act like the concept of private property is some sacred truth. It's something that society invented. Thousands of cultures have existed for thousands of years without the idea of private land ownership, so don't try to say that you are supported by some divine truths. I am not saying I oppose private property, but I am saying that your claims of an "open mind" are just geriatric ramblings.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:26

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:

If you mean another stamp that covers all wild streams? Then maybe. Great intention, but I can also see problems with that (that have already been discussed).

You mean like it being one of those new taxes you like so much?

No.

And I don't know why you keep trying to attach that to me.

a fiscal conservative is not against taxes. they are against spending money that you don't have and never intend to get.

I was against Bush's tax cut/refund.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:26

From Greensburg, PA
Anyone can be responsible and pay without being forced to pay. I am against being "required" to pay.

Irresponsible fly fishers who are for, shoving down our throats, paying for access should look into the irreversible consequences of this kind of idea.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:29

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:

If you mean another stamp that covers all wild streams? Then maybe. Great intention, but I can also see problems with that (that have already been discussed).

You mean like it being one of those new taxes you like so much?

No.

And I don't know why you keep trying to attach that to me.

a fiscal conservative is not against taxes. they are against spending money that you don't have and never intend to get.

I was against Bush's tax cut/refund.

my mistake.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:30

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
The question is "would you pay to fish unstocked wild trout streams". Reisica falls and lititz Run in the conservancy don't count.

My answer....I paid John Hamer to fish Spruce Creek 15 years ago, well I gave him five bucks cuz he was whining about how much it costs to feed the trout and how all the guys who come to fish and are granted permission never pay. I don't care if he used it to buy pringles, if it meant he stopped yelling at me, it was worth the money.

I guess most of those trout were probably stocked too.

I am in favor of fishing by permission only if the landowner has reservations about leaving the property open without restriction.

So was this a yes or a no...

Oh....Duh, I voted no but explained how I did actually pay once...but it may not qualify. Its a stupid notion anyway. If the landowner wants to charge, let him have the burden. But there are plenty of landowners who graciously open their land to fishing on stocked streams. (and wild trout streams too).

It'd be like being married to Elin Nordgen (sp) and paying for sex.

Mark me down for the free lunch crowd I guess. I am sure though that I put more time into other peoples properties than I do my own. so I have no regrets.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:33

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
Anyone can be responsible and pay without being forced to pay. I am against being "required" to pay.

Irresponsible fly fishers who are for, shoving down our throats, paying for access should look into the irreversible consequences of this kind of idea.

I agree with this completely.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:34

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

littlejuniata wrote:
So what is the count, the "Access Is Worth Nothing Crew" which SRC played constantly to their landowners. (AKA The Free Lunch Crowd)

Or the responsible fly fishers who believe landowners should be compensated.

On here I fear SRC will win

lets not count the circle jerks surrounding the too/two cheap guys

You are wrong.

If you proposed a well thought out plan that might actually work instead of a knee jerk idea which very well could result in the loss of more stream miles then just maybe more of us might go along with it.

Iither you are proposing just another large club ran by the fish commission, or some kind of new land subsidy. I don't know which, because you were so unclear i ignored many of them.

You hate farm subsidies, and now you want to create a stream sudsidy?

What you seem to be proposing is a form of subsidy funded by fees paid by sportsmen to purchase access. Sounds like a good idea from a distance, but it certainly is not taking everything into consideration, especially not the gimmy factor. More land would be lost to posting because more people would want their “fair share.” Gimmy gimmy!

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:38

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

Maurice wrote:

It'd be like being married to Elin Nordgen (sp) and paying for sex.

Been done. Didn't work out well.

Quote:
Mark me down for the free lunch crowd I guess. I am sure though that I put more time into other peoples properties than I do my own. so I have no regrets.

This is my point. This is being responsible. Not paying extortion money to fish when you have alternatives.

What do you do when you show up with that $20 in your hand and he says "sorry, already have a dozen guys down there..."

People with money can be stupid. They will think, "if it costs $20 to fish it must be a lot better than that free area just down the road."

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:38

From Bozeman
Quote:

Maurice wrote:

Nor should you have any regrets. "Free Lunch Crowd" is just a rhetorical technique to marginalize anyone that chooses not to support private land owners with their wallet. There is absolutely nothing wrong with separating business and pleasure for one or two facets of one's life.

I am disgusted that LJ and those that share his view would go as far as to implicitly marginalize those that volunteer their time to preserve streams and access. Time is money, right?

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:39

for readers

a $20.00 day fee is azzine

$5.00 would be max

I am grateful that our self proclaimed "prophet of fly fishing" is singular

otherwise most of our streams would be closed before the grannom hatch THIS YEAR

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:44

QUESTION "EVERYTHING"

From Bozeman
I don't think that matters, Dick. The very idea of paying anything is what many are opposed to.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:46

From Greensburg, PA
And how do you "cap" this a $5? You really haven't thought this out at all.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 9:49

I would be willing to pay for a trout stamp that raised money to buy land and easements along trout streams.

When the trout stamp was approved, there was some discussion that the money would be used that way. But that didn't happen.

When the PFBC asked TU to support the trout stamp, some of us thought TU should get a commitment that at least a certain percentage of that money be used for buying access. But people didnt want to push the issue and so TU supported it, hoping for the best.

The trout stamp has raised millions of the years. What did we get out of it?

Also, there is a 10% federal tax on fishing tackle at the manufacturer level. This includes tackle used by trout fishermen, both fly and spin fishers. Where is that money going? Why is it not being used to purchase land and easements along trout streams?

(It was used for purchase of lands along Spring Creek, but that's about the only example you can point to.)

Posted on: 2010/2/23 10:02

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

troutbert wrote:

The trout stamp has raised millions of the years. What did we get out of it?

Fish, period. That is all I ever heard it was for.

I pay for an Erie stamp which IS supposed to pay for access.

The current program is designed to provide funding for new and improved fishing access to Lake Erie and its watersheds.

What do you think the rest of the population who buy licenses would say if you told them had to buy another stamp or their trout stamp was going up in price?

Just carrying a fly rod on a stream would open you up to abuse by those who know where this began.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 10:08

From Monessen, PA
PFBC has a CAP fund that everyone should pay into if they want to try to build a fund for access and other issues:

http://www.fishandboat.com/cap.htm

Posted on: 2010/2/23 10:33

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 19 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com