Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Winter fishing

From Da 'Berg, PA
this winter i have to fish some of the more popular creeks while they are angler free (or relatively so based on the popularity of this thread), especially those that are hybrid freestone/limestoners.

i thought i'd fish through looking for 'thermal' spring does anyone have much success drifting small weighted egg patterns ? #16/#18 ?

i like to have one off a large unweighted stonefly.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 18:43

Why would you want to get all bundled up to fish? It's bad enough in the surf but I only fish the surf really for companionship. I love fly fishing for trout. No way I'm freezing my butt odd doing it. Give it a break. April will be all the sweeter.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 20:40

From NE OH
A little "Winter" scenery from the creek with Geo and Tim Robinson on Tuesday.

Attach file:

jpg  1465371_10200969828557124_1174414415_n.jpg (130.97 KB)
3679_5284be7f52e82.jpg 960X437 px

Posted on: 2013/11/14 7:14

From Other side of the tracks
Well, I rarely stream fish in the winter because where I grew up ois all freestone. There rare occasion I did, I did not find the brook trout to be cooperative when water temp was 32 to 33f.

I haven't fished much in the fall either and used the excuse I was giving the trout a rest during the spawn. Well, I have fished then, just not for trout.

My winter fishing usually meant drilling a hole in the ice. I used to love ice fishing, but have not done it in awhile. Not enough ice for my liking last year.

I'm going to try to get out more this winter for ice fishing because it is hard to beat the taste of panfish caught through the ice.

If anyone is interesting in hooking up on Pymatuning or something nearby to that this winter, let me know. But warning. I do not own an ice shanty. Cold does not bother me ... much.

Posted on: 2013/11/14 8:33

From Bellefonte
Geebee,
Egg patterns are absolutely killer in the winter time. Even long after the spawn is complete, the fish seem to remember them for months. In addition to the egg patterns, I will often drop a small unweighted nymph off of the back of the egg. Many fish will be attracted to the egg, reject it, and take the smaller nymph. The only difference in the way I fish it from what you described is I fish the eggs unweighted with a small split shot 5 or 6 inches from the egg. I use many weighted flies with great luck. Eggs for me just seem to be better unweighted with splitshot.

-Pat

http://troutbitten.blogspot.com/

Posted on: 2013/11/14 23:30

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
in the winter it zebra if that doesn't work a smaller zebra if that still doesn't work go to a sz 24 zebra and if that fails throw a bugger. if none of these work go home. in my experiences most fish are willing to take a zebra in the winter month. I also think stepping it up a size helps it stand out. my usual setup is a tandem PT to a zebra or a San Juan worm to a zebra. stockers love it wild fish like so you cant beat it.

winter I also carry eggs worms stones and never forget your BWO's.

Posted on: 2013/11/15 1:51

From Stevens,Pa.
When we are not Steelheading , we swing wolly buggers and streamers . The fish that are hungry will bite, the others use to a 32 no-seeum whadsworth butterfly nymph can go hungry. We usualy catch less, but bigger fish in the winter. Afternoons are the best time and Sunny days are better. You can cover more water in less time this way, it's an adaptation of Salmon/Steelheading techniques that catches fish in a shorter period of time.

Posted on: 2013/11/15 6:42

From Mount Joy, PA
Winter fishing is a real joy. Once you get past dealing with iced guides, it really is a lot of fun. On non-spring fed streams, the fish generally aren't as active, so your presentation has to be good. Learn how to layer and keep yourself warm and you will have some of the most peaceful fishing of the season!

Posted on: 2013/11/15 8:06

From Da 'Berg, PA
Pat- thanks. I have found eggs most successful in January for some reason. No idea why. I tend to fish slow deep runs 6ft plus, which may be factor.

The brighter the egg the better in my experience - they just have to be small. Brightly coloured rubber legged prince nymphs work well too.

Posted on: 2013/11/15 18:41

From lepnun county
Fallfish are fun espcially in the 17-20" range....yes that big just ask swatty87

Posted on: 2013/11/21 19:24

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com