Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Will glow in the dark flies actually work?

From Portage, PA
Just a thought I had after I picked up some glow in the dark thingamabobbers.

If i were to pick up glow in the dark material or paint, would the trout actually be able to see them better? Just wondering if anyone knew how the trouts night vision would work. Would they see this as a bright glowing object or see it just the same as a white fly.

I have read that the last color they can detect before dark is red, so I was wondering if they can distinguish any colors at night or not.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Posted on: 2013/4/4 11:14

Re: Will glow in the dark flies actually work?

From Perkasie PA
Yes. I tie GID buggers and Caddis larva with this Uni-glow material you can buy. You have to charge it with a flashlight after a few casts, but it does work and fish do take it.

Trout seem less hesitant on the buggers, but I've had them take the nymphs. Bass love the GID streamers.

I actually caught a shiner last night while trout fishing with a glow in the dark bugger :)

Posted on: 2013/4/4 11:22

From Philadelphia PA
Sometimes you just gotta test them and let us know.

Posted on: 2013/4/4 11:37
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Portage, PA
I plan on it. There is a large hole that forms from Freeman run merging witht the first fork of the Sinnemahoning in Costello. I think on the first day I may gander down at dark and see how they work. I have to find a quick source for the material though. Maybe just get some glow in the dark paint and slap it on caddis larva or something.

Posted on: 2013/4/4 11:40

From Da 'Berg, PA
i think this is why people tye with UV Chenille etc Mike, fish can pick up certain parts of the UV spectrum day or night.

Posted on: 2013/4/4 12:22

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
leteras from the board sells a few kinds of the glow in the dark material. Check him out.

Posted on: 2013/4/4 12:44

From Portage, PA
just ordered some from im off of ebay. 4.00 to my door. Just going to give it a whirle with some ugly heavy bugs.

Posted on: 2013/4/4 12:46

Edited by mike_richardson on 2013/4/4 13:02:29

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
But will they kill themselves by fighting for the material to the death? If not....epic fail for R.F.C.

Posted on: 2013/4/4 13:32

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Portage, PA
I am hoping for a full on piranha like cannibalistic attack of these flies, they may even jump out of the water just from seeing the glow and take them out of my hand before i can even tie it on the hook. ;)

Posted on: 2013/4/4 13:50

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
saltwater fish eat stuff that glows (phosphourence) but to most fresh water fish its a poisinous compound. some times it works other times 65% not.

Posted on: 2013/4/4 14:37

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Portage, PA
Bioluminesence is a beautiful thing. I am hoping it works if not its only 4 dollars.

Being I will be targeting stocked fish, It may not matter either way just a thought i had.

Posted on: 2013/4/4 14:50

From West Chester
Good point sandfly. As a kid, fishing for sunnies in farm ponds, i'd grab crickets, hoppers, ants, or any bug i could catch and throw it on the hook. I caught hundreds of sunnies doing that.
When it would start getting dark lightning bugs would come out and i would inevitably grab them and throw them on the hook. I never caught a single sunnie on a lightning bug. It wasn't until i was adult that i found out the reason why- lightning bugs are poisonous.

Posted on: 2013/4/4 15:21

From Ferguson Twp.
Interesting velly velly interesting, never knew that

Posted on: 2013/4/4 15:30

From Da 'Berg, PA
true dat. most brightly coloured insects, arachnids are poisonous. those little cute tree frogs are super duper toxic.

i still think it works a bit - otherwise all those hotspot nymphs wouldn't work, or those pattens with underbodies that suggest luminescence.

Posted on: 2013/4/4 15:43

From Pittsburgh
I also bought some glow in the dark materiel from Leteras recently, and tied some sulpher spinners with it.
Will find out how they work next month

Posted on: 2013/4/4 23:30

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com